computer to computer?

G

gmcsierra99

i have a computer with DSL and i was wondering if i can plug a phone line into a phone and into my other computer and still get internet access. or run a wire from my other computer to this one and get it. i dont know. it's probrably illegal or you cant do it at all. could somebody tell me if i can or can not do it? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
(Mods-- this should be moved to the Airport and Networking forum.)

gmcsierra99, you need to get a router in order to share your internet connection. What you're suggesting won't work.

Routers are very cheap (as low as $15 or better after rebate), so it's a good way to go. You would plug your DSL modem into the router and then connect your computers to the router via wireless (which Apple calls Airport) or a direct ethernet cable.

There are lots of tutorials on these forums and on the 'net on Internet Connection Sharing.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You could also just enable 'internet sharing' in the system preference 'sharing' pane, run an ethernet cable between the two macs and share the connection that way.

They both have to be running though, so caribiner23's way is better really...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Id go the Router way, but!!! You can (there is a way) to use the same line and split it right before the modem. The one side will have a FILTER for your phone, the other side will be directly into the modem then ethernet/usb to the computer. (is this what your referring to?) or Sharing same line with 2 computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Ah. I think Protege interpreted the question better than I did.

If the question is: "I have DSL and I want to have both a phone line and the DSL line working at the same time, i.e. I want to make phone calls while I am on the internet using the DSL connection," then yes, all you need to do it get a splitter, connect your modem to one side of the splitter and then stick your telephone's connection into a filter (the phone company should have given you a bunch) and plug the filter into the other side of the splitter.

If you want more than one computer using the internet at the same time, you'd need to use the Internet Sharing feature Aptmunich mentioned or the router solution I suggested.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.