Planning on getting a Macbook Need some Tips

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have had Windows for all of my life and one of my friends had a Mac. I loved it. It gives you so much more freedom and looks cooler and everything :Smirk: . Well I want a macbook and will be using it for video editing, Website editing, Dvd-Burning, No Gaming at all, Internet Surfing, and school work. I wanted to know....

1. How big are they? What are the Specs?

2. Any acessories I should buy?

3. Which versions should I get? (planning on getting the 13-Inch White 2.16ghz)

4. Programs I should plan on getting?

5. Any other things

Thanks and I'm glad to move away from Microsoft with the viruses and freezing etc...;P

Edit: Also, When Should I get one? I know a new operating system is coming out or something. Are there going to be any revisions soon or should I just get one. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Hey everyone, I have had Windows for all of my life and one of my friends had a Mac. I loved it. It gives you so much more freedom and looks cooler and everything :Smirk: . Well I want a macbook and will be using it for video editing, Website editing, Dvd-Burning, No Gaming at all, Internet Surfing, and school work. I wanted to know....

5. Any other things

Thanks and I'm glad to move away from Microsoft with the viruses and freezing etc...;P

Edit: Also, When Should I get one? I know a new operating system is coming out or something. Are there going to be any revisions soon or should I just get one. Thanks!

www.apple.com provides all the info about specs.

The rest of your questions have been answered many times over throughout the forum. Just make a search and you will find tons of information from all angles. Enjoy the new Mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb

5. Any other things

1. You answer this question later in the post. They are all 13 inch wide screens and about 9 or 10 inches in depth. The specs depend entirely on you - i bought the black macbook with 1gb ram, 2.16ghz cpu, 160gb hard drive. I then upgrade the ram as the first thing i did with some crucial 2gb sticks (because it is so much cheaper and quicker than getting apple to do it for you)

2. I would heavily recommed a case or sleeve to go with it, and definitely some external speakers (the built in speaker is good, but if you are using it for music or watching dvds, you need more audio response)

3. 2.16ghz White would be perfect for your needs, i spent the extra money and got a black one because of personal preference

4. If you are using it for school i would recommend buying iwork 08....the other apps that are pre-installed and come with ilife are fine for your personal needs - you shouldnt need to buy any other software

5. I'm extending the courtesy of posting these tid bits of advice because im in a good mood, i know a lot of members are not going to be so sympathetic to your needs. It is true what they say - everything you have just posted could have been answered with a search of the forums. Do not waste our time. And welcome to the forums ;).

and yes there is a new version of Mac OSX coming out - due for release in october. i would recommend waiting until then to buy your macbook - explore it at www.apple.com

pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yep apple.com will have all you need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

5. Any other things

I had a Mac years ago but switched to PCs (who knows why, thinking about it now). After years of problems with Windows - virsuses and the like, as you said - I finally decided to make the switch back to Mac, and I'm in love with it again. I got a Macbook Pro in January and it is just fantastic. Best computer I've ever had, hands down, and much faster - even at running Windows via Boot Camp (which I only use when absolutely necessary, by the way ;D) - than many a PC I've used.

I'm a student and I was pleased to find that Microsoft Office for Mac is available heavily reduced to college/uni students, so I'd recommend that. iWork is also pretty good from what I've seen, but the Macbooks don't come with any word processing software included. I thought that was a little disappointing considering the price tag, but a single purchase of Office or something similar should sort you out. The software that is included is excellent though. There's software for producing movies, DVDs and even music which is all quite intuitive and easy to use after a few shots at it.

The built-in camera is also a bonus and you can do some pretty cool stuff with Photo Booth. Plus there's Widgets and all that cool stuff that you don't get with Windows which is good for when you're bored and want to do anything other than school work, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Hope you have fun with your new Mac. I couldn't tear myself away from it for days!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

5. Any other things

I had a Mac years ago but switched to PCs (who knows why, thinking about it now). After years of problems with Windows - virsuses and the like, as you said - I finally decided to make the switch back to Mac, and I'm in love with it again. I got a Macbook Pro in January and it is just fantastic. Best computer I've ever had, hands down, and much faster - even at running Windows via Boot Camp (which I only use when absolutely necessary, by the way ;D) - than many a PC I've used.

I'm a student and I was pleased to find that Microsoft Office for Mac is available heavily reduced to college/uni students, so I'd recommend that. iWork is also pretty good from what I've seen, but the Macbooks don't come with any word processing software included. I thought that was a little disappointing considering the price tag, but a single purchase of Office or something similar should sort you out. The software that is included is excellent though. There's software for producing movies, DVDs and even music which is all quite intuitive and easy to use after a few shots at it.

The built-in camera is also a bonus and you can do some pretty cool stuff with Photo Booth. Plus there's Widgets and all that cool stuff that you don't get with Windows which is good for when you're bored and want to do anything other than school work, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Hope you have fun with your new Mac whenever you get it. I couldn't tear myself away from it for days!

Reaction score

I have recently bought this model and its sweet. No regrets; compact, solid, nice looking, and the 13" screen is surprisingly roomy and easy on the eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.