• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

whats left Alaska oil reserves

jah

Reaction score
are there any estimates on the amount of oil remaining in Alaska, those which are now being worked, that oil shipped in the Trans-America pipeline.

does anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I remember seeing something on the history channel that said the U.S. total oil reserves would last 40-50 years if we completely quit importing foreign oil. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what they said.

EDIT: They went on to say that we don't have the infrastructure in place to utilize a lot of these reserves though.

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
anything supporting this, liking that its true:Smirk:

later i googled some and found:
------question:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jul04/0,4670,AskAP,00.html
drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, I'm wondering what happens to all the oil that flows through the trans-Alaska pipeline. How much flows through it every day? I believe I heard on a news program that all that oil is being sold to Japan. Is that really true? Didn't taxpayer dollars pay for the pipeline's construction? And who is reaping the rewards of all that oil?
Wes Hubbart
Albuquerque, N.M.
------>answer:
Despite the opening of new fields, oil production in Alaska has steadily declined in recent years. The amount flowing through the trans-Alaska pipeline has fallen from a high of more than 2 million barrels a day in 1988 to 740,000 barrels a day in 2007, according to the Alyeska Pipeline Service Co.
After-tax profits go to the oil companies and royalties go to resource owners _ mainly the state of Alaska, whose budget relies heavily on the money from oil production. About $2 billion in oil royalties went into the state's general fund last year.
Other resource owners include the federal government and private landowners _ parties that generally support drilling in ANWR because it would add to the dwindling supplies of the state's existing oil fields.

The crude oil that flows down the 800-mile pipeline is picked up by tankers in the port of Valdez. According to state officials, the bulk of the crude is transported to West Coast refineries, with a small percentage remaining in Alaska and an unknown amount going overseas.
According to the CIA's World Factbook, the U.S. exported 1.048 million barrels of crude per day in 2004 _ which amounts to about 12 percent of domestic production _ and imported 13.15 million barrels a day that same year. It's unclear how much of the exported oil originated in Alaska.
A group of oil companies paid for the pipeline to be built in the late 1970s at a cost of $8 billion. Interest holdings in the pipeline have changed hands several times and today three companies own much of the pipeline and most of Alaska's oil leases: BP PLC, Exxon Mobil Corp. and ConocoPhillips.
Jeannette J. Lee
AP Business Writer
Anchorage, Alaska

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
I remember seeing something on the history channel that said the U.S. total oil reserves would last 40-50 years if we completely quit importing foreign oil. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what they said.
EDIT: They went on to say that we don't have the infrastructure in place to utilize a lot of these reserves though.

i heard the us has only have 3% of total world reserves??

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
more on the googles about the remaining reserves:
http://www.american.edu/TED/alaska.htm
"Oil companies have intensified their concern about the possible opening of oil fields in Alaska. Petroleum reserves from Alaska's Prudhoe Bay Field appear to be declining, and some geologists have testified that the chances that more oil reserves will be found there appear to be bleak.(4) Arco Alaska Inc. and BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc, whose boards have already approved large-scale exploration and are considering project risk sharing in Alaska, have called upon Congress to open up the Northern Slope for exploration and drilling..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
This article comes from the New Scientist magazine (equivalent of Scientitic American). As so I would consider it a trusted source (I have been reading the mag for 20 years as recommended by head of chemistry at school)

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/06/27/3521248.htm

Doesn't look like cheap oil will ever return, our scramble for more reserves will at best slightly reduce the price (if you take out speculators) or stabalise the price of oil at close to present levels (maybe a dollar below the present price at most optimistic)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is also THIS if we should choose to exploit it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
There is also THIS if we should choose to exploit it.

i'm not sure i like the term "technically" recoverable. does that mean it could be an ecological nightmare like recovering oil from sand or coal? or just that it may be in hard to reach places, like under huge granite mountains making today's tech difficult to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
From the article:

Technically recoverable oil resources are those producible using currently available technology and industry practices. USGS is the only provider of publicly available estimates of undiscovered technically recoverable oil and gas resources.

As I understand it is shale oil which is currently being obtained in the US and elsewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.