Upgrade question

Reaction score
Hi folks, Just a quick question, I have just got back using my imac and I need to upgrade, it's an 10.3.9 version, I'm so out of date, What is the latest version I can upgrade to, I have been told leopard but I have seen that it needs to be 867MHz or higher but I only have is 800MHz, Is the tiger upgrade to 10.4 my only option and if so would I get away with this or will I need to get to upgrade again soon after.

machine model: imac
CPU type: powerpc g4 (2.1)
Processor: 800 MHz powerpc g4

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With an 800mhz cpu...OS 10.4 would probably be your best bet. And like you mentioned...officially you need an 867mhz cpu for OS 10.5 Leopard. With a program called "Leopard Assist" you're supposed to be able to install 10.5 on computers with less than an 867mhz cpu.

Remember...in either case (10.4 or 10.5)...you're looking at $80-$120 bucks for an OS install disk.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Tnx for the reply so quickly, I'm looking into prices at the moment and see what;s out there on ebay and that, I will have a look at leopard assist, It's the first I have heard of it so I will have a look. cheers man

OP
S
Reaction score
Just had a look at the leopard assist, Does anyone have any experience with this program as I would hate to buy leopard upgrade and then for it not to work and also reading up on forums and I have come across alot of people who say tiger is quicker than leopard on old machines like mine, Would this be the case, I'm really just looking to upgrade it to a version where I can download a few apps so I can burn games and dvds etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...also reading up on forums and I have come across alot of people who say tiger is quicker than leopard on old machines like mine...

One of the reasons why I mentioned 10.4 "Tiger" would be the best choice for an 800mhz iMac.;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Is it true that it is quicker pig003 have you any experience with it, I might go with the tiger version as I don't think I will have any problems with downloading the apps I need.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I might go with the tiger version as I don't think I will have any problems with downloading the apps I need.

First thing to do is verify what OS version these apps. you need to download require before deciding on an OS upgrade.

Second...consider what the hardware requirements are (cpu, gpu, and ram) for the apps. you need to download.

Cross reference all this info, and then decide which OS (10.4 or 10.5) you want to upgrade to.

As far as experience. The "slowest" computer I have running OS 10.5 is a 933mhz Powermac G4. I do not have any computers slower than 867mhz running 10.5.

I'm advising you upgrade to OS 10.4. If these "apps." you mention require OS 10.5...or have hardware requirements above what your iMac G4 has...I then recommend getting a faster Macintosh.

You may already know...your 800mhz iMac G4 is 8-9 years old...so you're really asking a lot of it if you expect it to run "modern apps."

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.