Game Console to Mac LCD Screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. But searching around here as well as on the net did not help too much. Most info I find are for VGA slots.

I'm looking to hook my other Xbox up to my 20 inch Cinema Display or to my entire Mac system. Does anyone know what I would need? I don't really need to have a TV connection or anything like that. Im just looking to be able to play Xbox by using my LCD Screen and be able to hear it as well.

I don't know if this is relevant, but the video card I use is nVidia 6800 Ultra DDL with AGP or DVI (not sure on this) slots.

If you need any other info from me, just let me know.
Any ideas? Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you used this or know anyone who has? Will this ATI device be okay to use with my nVIDIA? Any ifo or opinion you could give me on this would be helpful.

M

Mahachippy

If you just want to hook it up to your screen and not your whole computer try this: x2vga

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Problem with that is the Apple Display is DVI so you would need to get a VGA -> DVI adapter which I believe is expensive.

The Wonder USB2.0 works great. I use it with my xbox and it is perfect. It doesn't matter if you have ATI or nVidia graphics card

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The adapter you're talking about is the one with the cable and power box right? IF it is, they are expensive.

... Just so Im clear. With what you're recommending, I dont need the VGA to DVI adapter? Correct? If so, its worth a shot.
Thanks for the replies.

M

Mahachippy

Yeah, but the tv wonder usb thing is $150....the x2vga plus the adapter that I recommended is easily less than $100 shipped. Of course, you can hook the tv wonder to your computer and run it I think with your computer...the x2vga plus the adapter will only let you play your xbox on your monitor...it will not hook up to your computer....does that make sense? If not let me know and I will try to explain better!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mahachippy
Yeah, but the tv wonder usb thing is $150....the x2vga plus the adapter that I recommended is easily less than $100 shipped. Of course, you can hook the tv wonder to your computer and run it I think with your computer...the x2vga plus the adapter will only let you play your xbox on your monitor...it will not hook up to your computer....does that make sense? If not let me know and I will try to explain better!

Now to do this... Would I have to constantly switch cables or just flip a switch or something of that nature?

What about that adapter that came with my G5 when I bought it? Its some type of monitor cable adapter. It looks like a DVI on one end then something else on the other.

EDIT.. Never mind. I just noticed it was the female end adapter for a VGA

M

Mahachippy

As far as I know, you can hook it up to both I think and then all you have to do is put the button on top of the x2vga box to switch between your mac and xbox (although...you might need two of the $4 adapters). Lemme look for a few minutes...will get back to you!

Edit: Yeah, I was right..you can hook it up to your comp. and the xbox and then just push a button to switch. Okay, I was wrong on one thing..you need a dvi to adc display adapter that is $100. However, all in all...this setup is only $20 or so more than that usb tv thing..but I have heard that the x2vga is a lot cleaner. Btw...check this link out for more info. these folks seem to know more than me on this subject: xbox on mac screen

Hope this helps...lemme know how it works out for you!!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Any info will help.

Reaction score
Mahachippy said:
yeah...$4 is rather expensive for an adapter :black: adapter
(Just kidding btw about it being expensive!)

That wouldn't work.

You would need something like this , which costs hundreds of dollars.

The way I would do it is to get an HDTV tuner box that outputs DVI and has an input for component. Get the component cords for your Xbox, run those to the HDTV tuner box, then plug the Cinema display in using the DVI output on the HDTV tuner.

M

Mahachippy

mynameis said:
That wouldn't work.

You would need something like this , which costs hundreds of dollars.

The way I would do it is to get an HDTV tuner box that outputs DVI and has an input for component. Get the component cords for your Xbox, run those to the HDTV tuner box, then plug the Cinema display in using the DVI output on the HDTV tuner.

Ummm...okay...I already posted I made a mistake..and no..you don't have to do what you said and spend $100s and $100s of dollars...you can do it easily for under $200. That is the price however that you have to pay if you want to game on a non-tv monitor. Btw...I didn't mean to come off rude..sorry if I offended anyone.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now Im confused.
This wont work? http://www.x2vga.com/ Can I use this along with something else? What else would I need for the x2vga to work if I dont get the TV Wonder device?

Reaction score
If he has a current model 20in Cinema it uses DVI not ADC.

The x2vga outputs a Analog(VGA) signal, while the Cinema displays accept only Digital(ADC or DVI) signals. In order to get an analog signal into a digital displays it had to be converted used come sort of device, which isn't cheap. A DVI output from a computer actually outputs both a digital and analog signal, those $4 adapters are used to extract the analog signal from a DVI port, no signal conversion is being done by that adapter.

M

Mahachippy

yes, I realize that ...he needs the following as quoted from ZildjianKX at http://www.chaosmint.com/forums:

"#1, you'll need an Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter that is $99 if you don't already have one.

#2 you'll need a DVI female to VGA male converter.

#3 you'll need a X2VGA for $64.95 plus shipping.
http://www.x2vga.com/

This is a pain in the butt, but mainly do to the fact that you're using a cinema display... doing things like this is one of the reasons I don't recommend them to a lot of my friends. I personally use a Samsung dual input LCD, so I can keep an Xbox hooked up via VGA and my mac hooked up via DVI, hit a button and just switches.

The X2VGA is probably the best VGA adapter you can get for the Xbox. It is not some crappy VGA box, it natively converts the progressive scan signals to VGA resolutions, so it's super sharp. I'm not sure how well Cinema displays display certain resolutions, like 640x480, etc, so you might want to make sure it can handle all of the corresponding resolutions. Another point, it cannot display non-progressive scan games (there are only a handful of them... it can sort of display non-progressive scan, but in wavey lines so you can barely make it out). The newer Xbox dashboards now support progressive scan, and if not you can buy a modchip and progressive scan patch your dashboard too."

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input all. I may be better off just buying a new 20 inch flat screen TV, HD ready. Or something like that. Again... Much appreciated for the input.

Reaction score
Mahachippy said:
yes, I realize that ...he needs the following as quoted from ZildjianKX at http://www.chaosmint.com/forums:

"#1, you'll need an Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter that is $99 if you don't already have one.

#2 you'll need a DVI female to VGA male converter.

#3 you'll need a X2VGA for $64.95 plus shipping.
http://www.x2vga.com/

He has no need for a DVI to ADC Display Adapter. You don't need a DVI to VGA converter, you need a VGA to DVI converter, which is an expensive piece of equipment. You aren't going to get all the necessary parts for under $200.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.