I am a memory idiot, please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I am in the process of decideing on my new apple purchase. I am a memory moron. I am purchasing an ibook superdrive 14in, bluetooth, isight, etc..... My question is this, when setting up my order on the apple website, it asks if you want to upgrade the memory, the choices being 256, 512, 768 or 1.256. So I have a few questons about this. I know nothing about the internal working of comps. i can run apps, do design and all that good stuff but when opening it up or talking about ghz or memory or ddr, ram all that stuff I know less than nothing. So, what memory shuld I go for on an ibook. Is there really a huge difference in lag time and all between 256mb and 512, or between 512 and 768? Should I order my memory from another supplier, and if so who? How hard is it to install memory? Does it void my warranty? Or shuld I just have apple install the memory? Do I really need 1.256mb of memory or is 256 or 512 or 768 enough for a moderate home user. I am not running half-life or anything like that, just an average to above average home user and light gamer. So what memory should I go for? Or should I just get the powerbook, lol? Thanks in advance for all your questions. I am previous mac-owner and have always had great help from this site, so thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It is fairly easy to install memory yourself, PLUS if you get it from a 3rd party supplier you can save quite a bit...

BEWARE! RAM isn't equal RAM - the quality can vary from one supplier to the next, recomended are: Crucial.com, Other world computing (owc.com) and others that you can find with the search feature (search the forums for iBook ram recommendations)

For normal use get around 256-512 extra (512-768 total)

For heavy use get the extra 1GB.

Easiest way to find the correct memory for your 'book is to use crucial.com to select it using their 'memory locater'.

That will show you the specs you need.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well tomorrow morning I am ordering my ibook. I am curious about factory installed ram recommendations. I want this thing to be ready to go out of the box. So how much ram should I go for? I dont want to have to worry about upgrading the ram right away as I am pretty good with software, but a hardware idiot. So should I have it sent to me with 256mb, 512mb or 768mb of ram factory installed? The 1.256 seems a little pricey. Any suggestions? Comments? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know if it matters but I am ordering the 80gb hd, bluetooth, combo-drive, isight. please help, lol.

M

mangoSharingan

Get it with 256MB already built-in. Then order 512MB from somewhere like Crucial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would also strongly recommend installing the RAM yourself.

You say you're a hardware idiot? Can you change a lightbulb? Well then you can add extra RAM...it really is simple.

You only need to remove 4 tiny screws later in the process (just need a small screwdriver) and the rest is just pushing latches...

You can save yourself quite a bit...just order it from crucial.com at the same time as you order your iBook and you'll have it working quickly..

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well ordered the ibook this morning, I got it with only 256mb of ram and ordered 512 from crucial, so we will see how it goes, lol Thanks for everyones help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.