My Powerbook has lost the ability to....

A

admandent

....go into sleep mode when the power runs out. Before, whenever the juice went dry, it would simply go to sleep, and await it's power cord so it can continue it's work.

Now, when it runs out, it simply shuts down. The biggest concern is the data loss that can accompany this. Plus, it gets annoying having to reset the date and time everytime it happens.

Would anyone know what the cause of this may be? It's a 2 year old Powerbook g4 (purchased in the summer of 2004) and it only has been happening recently.

Old battery? Allotment of RAM/Memory? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Mine has a slightly different issue, in that when it runs out of juice and I plug it in, it won't wake up. I have to plug the cord in for 10 secs to give it juice. Unplug it. Hit a key to wake it from sleep. And plug it back in again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
admandent said:
....go into sleep mode when the power runs out. Before, whenever the juice went dry, it would simply go to sleep, and await it's power cord so it can continue it's work.

Now, when it runs out, it simply shuts down. The biggest concern is the data loss that can accompany this. Plus, it gets annoying having to reset the date and time everytime it happens.

Would anyone know what the cause of this may be? It's a 2 year old Powerbook g4 (purchased in the summer of 2004) and it only has been happening recently.

Old battery? Allotment of RAM/Memory? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

It could be a dead pram battery, since I believe when the computer is in sleep it runs of that to keep the ram powered..

RS2: I don't know what is wrong with your computer, that is an interesting problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.