• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Dell tops Apple in R&D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Dell tops Apple in R&D
November 21, 2003 - 11:01 EST Dell Computer CEO Michael Dell recently said that his company's research and development (R&D) division is very comparable to that of Apple. In fact, Dell has more workers and spends more money than Apple in R&D, despite being known for rebranding products and using many OEM parts. "We have 3,600 folks in our R&D division and spend half a billion dollars a year, similar to the amount Apple spends," Dell said. "Just because we sell a whole lot more doesn't mean we're bad. I thought that was part of the objective." Apple says it currently has 2,500 employees working in R&D, and spent $471 million in R&D costs in fiscal 2003.

My Comments: They usually win that spot.. Apple will get it one day I hope.. I just don't see how Dell could beat Apple with everything Apple has done.. oh well!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am wondering what the criteria is? Because if you look at the two companies, only one is really into designing anything. The other is into making colored boxes, and i don't see any research in that. Also what has Dell developed?

So I don't see how they won, unless it have to do with money spend and number of people working for them.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also what design awards has Dell won?

I am so confused on this subject. lol

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah me too.. Im happy to hear that Im not the only one.. I dont get it.. hmm.. maybe someone will be able to post here and explain it to us. And Im not sure it matters enough to me to go and do the research on it :)

M

MuffinMan

1,100 Employees less and the same amount spent as dell? Seems to me like Apple puts more money into R&D for the amount of people they have..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
spending $471 million on 5% market share seems like a lot more than spending $500 million on at least 20% of the market. sounds like something similar to the MHz myth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hey it costs a lot of R&D money to decide which products to rebrand as your own ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
schweb said:
Hey it costs a lot of R&D money to decide which products to rebrand as your own ;-)

actually, the new dell laptops are pretty nice. i have a aluminum powerbook, but my gf's new dell UXGA screen on the DELL laptops, come out MUCH MUCH MUCH better than my 15" powerbook. resolution is A LOT better. and i don't think R&D can be confined to just their laptop designs. my roommate has a 1995 DELL laptop and it's still running strong with only minor snags along the way.

but apple definitely wins in the design department. nothing looks, feels, or takes ergonomics into consideration like apple does. i just with they spent more of their money on customer service. if you have a problem with a DELL you're likely to get $$$ back, a new pocket pc, or free shipping(all events i've seen occur with my friends).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.