Legality of using pictures

Reaction score
I have a question about posting pictures on a web site. What kind of authorization do I need to get to put pictures of people on my web site. I have a swim team that I am building a web site for, do I need authorizationfrom the parents before I put pictures of their kids ont he site? Also, what about a team picture, do I need to get authorization from everyone in it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
by law, if you can recognize the persons face, you do need a model release form for the people in the pictures to use them.

OP
G
Reaction score
Mathiau said:
by law, if you can recognize the persons face, you do need a model release form for the people in the pictures to use them.

Thanks, I guess I'll start asking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'll second Mathiau. The swim team will probably have their own policy regarding such media, so check with them. You should only need their permission (implicit in that they're asking you to make the site, but better to make sure).

OP
G
Reaction score
cazabam said:
I'll second Mathiau. The swim team will probably have their own policy regarding such media, so check with them. You should only need their permission (implicit in that they're asking you to make the site, but better to make sure).

They are asking me and I am one of the coaches on the swim team. We are a non--profit organization and we do have a board in place. I have approval from them, I assume that I still need to get release from the individual swimmers for theri individual pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
best way to set it up is os that next year when everyone signs their contracts ot pay and let their kids do this etc is for there to be a section saying that pictures of events etc may be used for the website and other publications. but for right now im pretty sure you will need each persons, or parents, permission in order to publish the pictures.

i know that there are a lot of people who simply do not ask these questions and just put these pictures up, this is a great question/topic to be covered.

-chris

OP
G
Reaction score
We are going to come up on monthly registration fees, I think I am going to throw something in there that lets them know that pictures might be used for our website.

Reaction score
The way I've seen it done was if this is part of a HS or some other K-12 system, the school will have a media release form the students have their parents sign at the beginning of the year stating that throughout the year the student may be subject to having their picture taken by various approved sources such as newspapers, the school year book, etc. And if a students picture appeared in a public resource, without that paper signed the parent was on legal grounds to sue if they so wished.

I've also seen when I was in HS Band doing football games flyers posted all over the place in plain site (the gates, concessions, at the front of the bleachers, etc) signs that said "During tonights game press will be here to take photos and will do a live broadcast during the event. By being here, you are agreeing to allow yourself to be photographed, filmed, or in the background of either format. If you do not wish to be apart of the filming or picture taking process, there are specific marked area where the camera crews are not allowed to shoot towards or around, they have been informed of such areas and you can expect your rights to be respected."

Paraphrased slightly but our local news agencies record highschool football games on friday nights for a specific segment on the late night news.

Could implement either of those policies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.