• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buying advice on refurbished products

M

me2621a

hi im considering buying a 2.16ghz macbook pro. im thinking about buying refurbished. Has anyone bought a refurbished computer from apple and if so can you tell me if there were anyscratches on it. what i mean is i like my things perfect. apple claims that it will be identicle to a new computer. is this true. please help.
thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, most refurbs are perfectly fine, but im pretty sure by law they have to separate the machines with defects on production initially (could even be RAM placed incorrectly), they fix them and sell them, they are fine and a good cheap(er) way to get a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Has anyone gotten a refurb from the Apple site? (iMac, mini, MBP, etc?)

I see the page on the Apple web site that lists the refurbished items. Is their a way to find out what was wrong with a particular item?

I would like to save a couple bucks but have had bad experiences with refurbed products. Mostly with car radios and PC equipment. I think Apple makes a far better product, and a refurbed Mac is probably better than some new PC's but i don't want to save money if i am going to have problems later on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
alucard said:
Has anyone gotten a refurb from the Apple site? (iMac, mini, MBP, etc?)

I just purchased a refurbished 12" iBook G4 from the online site. It works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
You should have the same one year warranty on a refurbed product just as you would if it was "brand new". You also have the same option to purchase Applecare to further extend your coverage. I have never purchased a refurbed computer from Apple but I did purchase an ipod from their refurb store a couple of years ago. It worked and looked like new, and was a great ipod. I don't see any reason not to save a few books by going with the refurbed model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the help and info. I saw a MBP w/Intel for my wife that i want to get on the refurbed items list. I am looking for an iMac 20" w/Intel. She currently has a MB w/Intel but I would like to upgrade her to a 2.0ghz and a super drive. I currently have a Mac mini that i got on ebay but would like to get the iMac for the extra HD space, ghz and video. We are recent Switchers and got low end Macs just to see if we would like the Mac. We love them and don't plan and going back to PC's.

OP
F

fumomo

I bought a refurb iBook from an Apple store (not online) and can confirm that refurbs are fine - they've been checked over properly. Mine was in mint condition and I'd certainly get a refurb again to save money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
they are perfectly fine, even if someone opens up a computer turns it on and returns it the comp goes to the refurb store. some units could possibly have a small scratch on them but hey, you dont have to worry about your first scratch because it is already there!

there is a strict refurb policy that is at the refurb store site you should check it out. also, the the website doesnt reflect every unit that they sell

i say that if you need to save the few hundred bucks, get the refurbs!

note: student discounts do not apply to refurb units

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel more confident in ordering a refurb now. As soon as I see one I like i'm going to order. Thanks again everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a 20" refurbed iMac at my local apple stoe. I pick it up tomorrow since i upgraded the ram to 1gb. Can't wait to get it home. Thanks again for everyones advice and help.

Reaction score
alucard said:
I found a 20" refurbed iMac at my local apple stoe. I pick it up tomorrow since i upgraded the ram to 1gb. Can't wait to get it home. Thanks again for everyones advice and help.

Congrats!! Waiting is the hardest part!! :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.