A1181 Weird Battery Problem = /

Reaction score
This is kicking my tail, cant figure this out. Reaching out to this forum for help...

I have an A1181 unit w/ 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo:

The unit will not run unless its with the A/C adapter/magsafe connected. The battery I am using is new and original, and I have an extra OEM battery that shows identical symptoms. I have another Macbook both batteries work fine.

Here is what I've already tried: I have changed the battery connector. I have also cleaned with contact cleaner the female part of the logic board where it plugs in.

The Macbook works fine. Charges the battery, shows orange while charging and green when full on the magsafe adapter.

Mac also recognizes battery and shows time left, but as soon as you disconnect the A/C adapter/magsafe the Mac shuts off!

Any ideas other than replacing the logic board? I have a 1.83 Ghz logic board standing by, I just am going to miss the 2.4Ghz = /

Thanks in advance for your help and for the website!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried a new DC input board? See this LINK from ifixit.

OP
T
Reaction score
Switched out for another.Got same problem but new symptom. Now the mac says the battery is only charged 5% and needs to be replaced. (This same battery is new and powers on another healthy macbook no problem)

I used a scavenged part so now Im going to take the part out of a working macbook and see if that solves it and will let you know result.

Would doing fresh install of the OS maybe solve the problem? Im a Windows guy, Ive done plenty of reinstalls :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That DC input board is suspect but you never know. Make sure you use a good working part to determine it with. And no, reinstalling OS X won't help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Tried an new DC input board, didnt work. I have another 2.4ghz macbook with identical problem. Guess its the logic board...

Should I try baking/reflow?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I try baking/reflow?

That's a risky process but I guess at this point you've nothing to lose by trying it. Check around on the web and get an idea of how others have done it before you make an attempt. I've read several accounts of success but mostly with the GPU not the entire board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.