MacBook Air Storage Issue

Reaction score
My 60Gb HD appears to be full, but I don't know why. Apps 8.7Gb; Lib 5.7Gb; Sys 6Gb and Users 37Gb - ok, seems right.

But, when I GetInfo on each folder inside my Users folder the total is around *2Gb*, which makes sense - I save nothing on my HD (all on Dropbox) and manage Dropbox at Advanced Preferences to ensure a minimum of HD usage.

I cannot understand why I have an 'invisible' 35Gb stored on my HD, in Users. Do I not understand my Users folder, or is something else going on?

I am completely lost now on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

OP
J
Reaction score
So, in the Library/Application/iLifeAssetManagement/Assets/sub there is 23.6Gb of ???. Hundreds of photos, each in their own folder. Can you just advise from where to delete, i.e. can I delete the Assets folder? Or the sub folder?

You're my hero!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Curious - What were they - all your pics or junk that iLife installs?

OP
J
Reaction score
My photos. I've never really liked how iPhoto 'stores' the jpegs, but that is another story I guess. But awhile back, when trying to get rid of these files - to only have my photos on my desktop - I did not do it correctly I guess. And this was coupled with me thinking, I think incorrectly now, that the space problem I was having was to do with my dropbox 'mirroring' to my HD. And I was chasing the wrong issue. Coupled with the fact that Finder and GetInfo do not tell the whole story (THANKS!!). Soon as I found the actual issue I was able to delete 25Gb of photo files I don't want or need on the laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.