CPU Update for iMac 27 mid 2011

Reaction score
my iMac 27 from mid. 2011 have a 3.1ghz i5 CPU.

im not scared to open my iMac…

but is it possible to upgrade the i5 to a Core™ i7-4960HQ haswell cpu?
it use the same LGA2011 socket.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not possible because the CPU like the GPU in a late model iMac is surface mounted to the logic board. In other words, it's soldered not socketed. And even if it was socketed, you could not swap the older CPU for the Haswell because that requires a whole new supporting chipset and power requirements. If you want a Haswell iMac, wait until next year and buy one when Apple starts to sell them.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I meant to mention something about this on the videocast tonight. We had a few hiccups, which can be chalked up to an error on my part, and in the confusion I forgot to mention it.

Thanks Chscag for a good explanation of why that processor switch would not work. You hit on a few things I had not considered. Here's consideration I can tell you from experience. Even when it is possible to change out the CPU the speed bump may not be as large as one would expect. I once changed the 300 Mhz G3 processor in a desktop Mac for a 500 MHZ G4 upgrade.

Although I did see a bit of a speed bump it was not as much as I expected and probably not worth the cost. In fact, I did a memory and hard drive upgrade at the time and that might also have contributed to the performance increase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Most of my gaming buddies don't build them anymore because a new processor usually requires a new logic board which will then need updated ram (higher MHz) and a better video card only to find out the power supply does not meet the demands so only the case remains hardly worth it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think that is basically what I ran into. You don't like traveling 60 mph so you upgrade the engine in your car. Afterward you discover that no matter what engine you use the highway to work, the grocery store etc. won't handle speeds above 70 mph. Not much higher than the speed you started with. In computer terms the extra speed is lowed by the bus speed and speed of other components.

OP
G
Reaction score
Not possible because the CPU like the GPU in a late model iMac is surface mounted to the logic board. .

in the 2011 mid model..
the cpu is not soiled on the logic board it can be easy removed…

Ok if haswell not an option.. what is the lates i7 Cpu i can change it to?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's not soiled..but it is certainly soldered.:)

If you see the 2011 21.5" Teardown at iFixit and the logicboard picture, the orange box is the CPU. The CPUs have a lot of pins and aren't easily replicaed by hand and if you COULD do it, you'd have to stick with the same family but perhaps the i7 version instead of the i5. As stated by others, you couldn't jump families since it isn't just the socket that is the limiting factor..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It's not soiled..but it is certainly soldered.:)

If you see the 2011 21.5" Teardown at iFixit and the logicboard picture, the orange box is the CPU. The CPUs have a lot of pins and aren't easily replicaed by hand and if you COULD do it, you'd have to stick with the same family but perhaps the i7 version instead of the i5. As stated by others, you couldn't jump families since it isn't just the socket that is the limiting factor..

Razor, in that image the CPU definitely looks socketed, and if that's the case it could be changed if desired. Whether it would make a noticable difference is another question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.