• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Boxing Day

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK US members.... Do you know what Boxing Day is? If you have a calendar which lists international holidays you might see that December 26th 2013 is Boxing Day.

Here is what our Wikipedia says about Boxing Day:

Boxing Day is traditionally the day following Christmas Day, when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts from their bosses[1] or employers, known as a "Christmas box". Today, Boxing Day is habitually known as the bank holiday that occurs on 26 December. It is observed in the United Kingdom, Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Malta and some other Commonwealth nations. In Australia, Boxing Day is a federal public holiday.

According to the above, and since one our distinguished Administrators is a Canadian citizen, we are expecting a "Christmas box" from him with all the trimmings!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Believe it or not, I didn't know that Boxing Day was not related to boxing/fisticuffs until just recently.

the_more_you_know.jpeg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oh, sweet, do I get one too? Vansmith, you never did ask for my mailing address!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And some other alternatives;;;;;;;

Why is it Called Boxing Day:

Arguments abound on the origins of the name Boxing Day, all of the answers here are relevant, so maybe it is all of them.

1. A ‘Christmas Box’ in Britain is a name for a Christmas present.

2. Boxing Day was a day off for servants and when they received a ‘Christmas Box’ from the master. The servants would also go home to give ‘Christmas Boxes’ to their families.

3. A box to collect money for the poor was placed in Churches on Christmas day then opened the next day.

4. Great sailing ships when setting sail would have a sealed box containing money on board for good luck.If the voyage were a success the box was given to a priest, opened at Christmas and the contents given to the poor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)

2. Boxing Day was a day off for servants and when they received a ‘Christmas Box’ from the master. The servants would also go home to give ‘Christmas Boxes’ to their families.

This is the most accurate description for the adults in our household!

After the preparation, hard work, cooking, washing up and other general stresses of ensuring Christmas Day passes without a glitch, Boxing Day is a day for relaxing with family we didn't see yesterday and indulging in food and drink too much :D

Though I guess for some it's the tradition of waking early and attending the post Christmas Day sales and getting "boxes" of reduced price stuff.

M

MacInWin

When I lived in UK, Boxing Day was described to me as the day one gave the Christmas Boxes to non-family...neighbors, friends, etc. I think that usage was a derivative of the "staff" origin.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
According to the above, and since one our distinguished Administrators is a Canadian citizen, we are expecting a "Christmas box" from him with all the trimmings!

Oh, sweet, do I get one too? Vansmith, you never did ask for my mailing address!
Well, seeing as how my birthday gifts are a week late at this point, we can call it even. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Why is it Called Boxing Day:

Arguments abound on the origins of the name Boxing Day, all of the answers here are relevant, so maybe it is all of them.

1. A ‘Christmas Box’ in Britain is a name for a Christmas present.

3. A box to collect money for the poor was placed in Churches on Christmas day then opened the next day.

4. Great sailing ships when setting sail would have a sealed box containing money on board for good luck.If the voyage were a success the box was given to a priest, opened at Christmas and the contents given to the poor.

5. UPS and FedEx personnel are boxed about the ears for not delivering packages before Christmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.