ctrl alt del for the mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2 Ghz C2D, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb Hd, 2 gig black nano
Newbie question, is there a way like in Win2K and XP to lock a Mac? You know what I mean, in Windows, when you are going to be away and want to lock your machine, you press crrl alt del and it locks it? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
command, option and excape, or apple key alt, and esc (same things) all at the same time, it tells you in the apple menu under force quit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The only way to lock a Mac is to set the screensaver to require a password, and activate a "hot corner." When you leave your Mac, toss the mouse into that corner and nobody will be able to get in without the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
captainstabbin said:
Newbie question, is there a way like in Win2K and XP to lock a Mac? You know what I mean, in Windows, when you are going to be away and want to lock your machine, you press crrl alt del and it locks it? Thanks in advance

Go to the Security section of System Preferences, then select "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yeah, that was one of my questions too when I first got my Powerbook. I just set up my screen saver to require a password, as everybody has said, and then I put the mouse in the lower left corner and walk off. I'm pretty security conscious so this was the first thing I did.

NOTE: Your Mac is not secure, until you install an open firmware password. With a system disc, anybody can override your master password and get full root access. Keep this in mind, and set an open firmware password ASAP. This is the equivelant to a BIOS password on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Osiris22x said:
NOTE: Your Mac is not secure, until you install an open firmware password. With a system disc, anybody can override your master password and get full root access. Keep this in mind, and set an open firmware password ASAP. This is the equivelant to a BIOS password on a PC.

How do u do that? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Osiris22x said:

I was also wondering how you do that.......Any Takers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.