Ok.... probably a daft question but....

U

unclebones

I am running os9.2.1 on a g3 powerbook and I want to upgrade to osX (10.1) - however as I do not have CDRW or a zip disk or one of them usb disk things I am facing limitations on the amount of stuff I can back up.
Is their any way of installing X without initializing the HD or can anyone suggest a way i could back up the important files I need.
Cheers Matt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
unclebones said:
I am running os9.2.1 on a g3 powerbook and I want to upgrade to osX (10.1) - however as I do not have CDRW or a zip disk or one of them usb disk things I am facing limitations on the amount of stuff I can back up.
Is their any way of installing X without initializing the HD or can anyone suggest a way i could back up the important files I need.
Cheers Matt.

I'm not certain about 10.1, but 10.2 and 10.3 (Jaguar and Panther) do offer such an option. Is there any reason why you'd prefer 10.1 over the newer versions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
unclebones said:
Cheers Matt.

You can do an "upgrade" but it will produce a much slower, and possibly less stable system with a lot of wasted HD space. Your best bet is to buy an external hard drive, or use a network cable or something and dump your important data onto another Mac or a PC temporarily, install Panther, and then dump it all back over again.

Also, I'd recommend 10.3.3, not 10.1.

OP
U

unclebones

Think I'm sorted now!

Also, I'd recommend 10.3.3, not 10.1.[/QUOTE]

I know but I've only got a copy of 10.1 I had for an Imac I used to have and I ain't got the money for a new one so sadly it's 10.1 for me. (unless the upgrades free?) However I have managed to back up my data using an ancient CDR drive borrowed from a friend so all's well. Thanks for the help though, it's good to see cos on a lot of boards people ignore the dumb posts like mine so thankyou!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
P

PowerbookG417

or just go out to your local computer store buy an external hard drive bring it home copy of the stuff you want then upgrade dump it back...then later that day or the next day...take the harddrive back and say it wouldnt hook up to your computer..or say the wife got mad that you bought a new toy and instead of spending the next 2 weeks on the couch your brining it back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.