Transferring Parallels/Windows XP to new SSD

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 15 inch (late 2008) Macbook Pro with 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

I recently replaced the old hard drive with a new SSD. The cloning process went very smoothly, and my Mac OS is up and running great. But I cannot open my Windows XP through Parallels. It gives me the error message: "You can't use this version of the application 'Parallels Desktop' with this version of OS X." I have Parallels Desktop 6.0, and it was running on my old HD fine (i'm using OS X Mountain Lion).

When I plug my old HD into the computer via USB and go into Disk Utility, there is NOT a separate partition for Windows XP/Parallels. I was running it without a separate partition I guess.

Also, my new SSD contains a folder under Parallels documents titles Windows XP.pvm. It was copied to the SSD during the cloning process, but I still can't get Parallels and my old Windows XP to open up.

I am wanting to know how to get my Parallels/Windows XP to work on my new SSD.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate any help you all can provide.

Jared

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to update your version of Parallels. Version 6 will not run on Mountain Lion. Since you're now 2 versions behind (current version is 8) you need to upgrade. See below from the Parallels web site.

This is from the Parallels knowledge base:

OS X Mountain Lion & Parallels Desktop 5/6 for Mac compatibility
Article ID: 114410
Created On: Jul 19, 2012
Last Review: Jan 28, 2013
Views:
Was this article helpful?
No Yes
APPLIES TO:
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac
Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac will not run on Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac customers who wish to take advantage of the new Mac OS X Mountain Lion features should install Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, which can be downloaded here.

IMPORTANT: Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac users will need to purchase a full copy of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, as version 5 falls under the End-of-Life policy and upgrade from version 5 to 8 is not supported. Please visit this page for more information on the End-of-Life policy statement.

Customers who have a key for Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac are eligible for upgrade pricing and can place an order for Upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac at the Parallels Online Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.