Problems with new emac

D

DangerMan

When it became time to get a new computer I finally listened to all the mac-lovers and decided to get a mac. In the store the assistant recommended the emac - which I bought. I've had it 3 months now and have had nothing but problems with it.

The problem is that it is just so slow. In fact it is so slow there must be a fault with it - I can't imagine anyone else putting up with it.

I only use it for two applications; dreamweaver and photoshop. When using DW I have to wait anywhere between 20-40 secs for the emac to react. Just now I attempted to open a page which took 22 secs. I then tried to insert a table which took 32 secs. It took a further 1 min 17 secs to add 4 images to a 9 cell table. That's 2 mins 11 secs just to open a page and add a table.

To connect to the internet [56k dial-up] takes over 3 mins. To open Photoshop CS takes almost 4 mins. I know that all these precise times sound obsessive but I'm at the end of my tether. Especially since my etower 510 PC [which I was attempting to replace with the mac] will operate both DW and PS in an instant.

What is wrong with my emac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Alright I have three things that you can try

1. Repair Permissions
----Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility - Select Macintosh HD (Or whatever you named it) and click repair permissions......Do this until it says No Repairs made

2. File System Check
----Restart the Computer and hold down Apple+S as soon as it turns on...Release the buttons when the Single User mode screen appears (you will know it when you see it)..........type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter...do this until it says HD is OK...Type restart to get back to OS X

3. Back-up and Reformat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know if there are any improvements after doing the first 2 and if not then we can guide you through the reformat

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What OS are you running and how much memory do you have? It maybe the case where you are running with the minimum amount of memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
What OS are you running and how much memory do you have? It maybe the case where you are running with the minimum amount of memory.
well he says he got it 3 months ago so im gonna take a guess this is his specs

1ghz G4
256 or 512 ram
80gb hd

OP
D

DangerMan

trpnmonkey41 said:
Alright I have three things that you can try

1. Repair Permissions
----Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility - Select Macintosh HD (Or whatever you named it) and click repair permissions......Do this until it says No Repairs made

2. File System Check
----Restart the Computer and hold down Apple+S as soon as it turns on...Release the buttons when the Single User mode screen appears (you will know it when you see it)..........type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter...do this until it says HD is OK...Type restart to get back to OS X

3. Back-up and Reformat

when I type restart it says -sh: restart: command not found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
then its reboot

i always get the 2 of them mixed off

OP
D

DangerMan

trpnmonkey41 said:
then its reboot

i always get the 2 of them mixed off

I tried steps 1 and 2 and there seems to be an improvement. I monitor it over a day or so and let you know. I really hope the problem is solved because I really want to like the emac. I would love to be as pleased with my emac as everyone else is with there's.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Also run crons if you're not using Mac Janitor:
Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
If you are going to be running memory hogs like dreamweaver and photoshop, you should definitely max out your ram.. you'll see an improvement there also.

OP
D

DangerMan

Murlyn said:
If you are going to be running memory hogs like dreamweaver and photoshop, you should definitely max out your ram.. you'll see an improvement there also.

How do I add more ram? How expensive?

my emac is:

eMac
PowerPC G4 (3.3)
memory 128 mb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well iI am going to take a guess that you have the 1ghz machine since the 700 and 800mhz was PPC 2.1

http://www.welovemacs.com/memory1ghz.html

You can get it through apple but it will be almost twice as much money
If you can afford it go for 2 512 sticks to get you to the eMacs maximum which will be an enormous improvement

The minimum I would recommend upgrading is getting a single 512 stick that way in the future you can just get another stick and pop it in (you can still use your 128 that you have now until then)

Be sure to get the PC133 and not the PC100 they listed

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Yep, max out the Ram. The big speed killer on the eMac range is the HD speed so you have to minimise the amount of virtual ram usage (as it is really on the HD).

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
DangerMan said:
my emac is:

eMac
PowerPC G4 (3.3)
memory 128 mb

The performance you quote is the performance you will get with the amount of RAM u have. Try getting more RAM, it should solve ur problem. Good Luck.

OP
D

DangerMan

Strider said:
The performance you quote is the performance you will get with the amount of RAM u have. Try getting more RAM, it should solve ur problem. Good Luck.

I bought 512mb more ram so + the 128mb I now have 640mb ram and things have vastly improved.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DangerMan said:
I bought 512mb more ram so + the 128mb I now have 640mb ram and things have vastly improved.

Thanks for the help

Glad to hear its working better for you now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.