Snow Leopard not recognizing MOTU 8pre

Reaction score
I have a MOTU 8pre audio interface and a spanking brand new Mac Mini running 10.6.2

I can't seem to get the Mac to recognize the interface. I'm getting the message "warning:unable to list firewire devices" in the system profiler. I've downloaded all the new drivers and interfaces from MOTU. I'm not in 64 bit. I'm not daisychained. I've plugged and unplugged and restarted multiple times. I've plugged the interface back into my old mac running Tiger and everything is fine. Haven't called MOTU yet as it's the weekend.

I'm reading a lot of horror stories online about firewire implementation (especially 400) with Snow Leopard. One solution everyone seems to be suggesting is going back to 10.5.8.

I don't even have a copy of that. I just have Tiger. This is a new mac and I feel like that's a lousy solution.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
on the MOTU downloads page there is the Firewire/USB driver and also an 8pre Firmware update. Do you have both of these downloaded?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have the updated firewire/usb driver but the message I'm getting with the firmware update is that it can't be completed because it doesn't recognize the 8pre as being present.

I guess I have to go online with one of my other two macs that recognize the MOTU unit to get the firmware update?

Reaction score
Try going online with your other macs and update the device's firmware.

It could be that your brand new Mac can't see the outdated 8pre.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.