Good value budget printer...and ink!

Reaction score
I dont know if its just me but looking on ebay I cant get colour and BW ink for less than £30 the set. I always remember getting cheap ink off ebay for my older printer. I have a HP4400, anyone using a printer thats not steep on ink cost or is it just me being tight?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not you being "tight". It seems the way printer manufacturers make their real profit is not from the hardware but from the consumables. :(

I find that Canon printers for the most part are economical to maintain in that they (newer models) use 5 ink tanks. I've been able through on line purchases to obtain replacements at a decent price. Each tank can be had (refilled) for around $6.00, and that's for ones which have the Canon "chip". Without the chip the price is less but the tanks do not function properly.

I'm currently using a Canon Pixma MP 620 which can be purchased here in the US at Wal-Mart for around $100.00.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Right on with the Canon call chscag! I still operate an old MP110 for scanning, copying and color printing, but use a Brother mono-laser for b/w printing (much cheaper).

Shop around online for mail order distributors rather than retailers in the UK.

Canon is very tolerant of generic inks too, and they're a good deal cheaper, sometimes by as much as 50%. HP unfortunately maintains a high price for its consumables, and their printers don't like alternatives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.