Boot Camp internet problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Dusted off my MacBook – it’s maybe 3 years old and hasn’t been used in quite a while, at least 1-2 years.

Reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the Mac OS (10.6.1) using the original installation disks. Everything fine.

It found my home wireless network automatically and with no problems. Internet access great.

Partitioned the disk and loaded Windows7. Everything done per the instructions.

The problem is the Windows7 portion of the computer does not “see” the home network. This is needed for wireless access to the internet, my goal.

With Windows7, I can get internet access with an Ethernet cable from the computer into the router, but even with that the system doesn’t “see” my home network.

As my goal is for wireless internet and home network, what’s my problem (besides being insufficiently knowledgeable) and how to fix the system so I have full wireless internet access?

In advance, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is your home network password protected? Do you need to give add new devices to your network through admin setup or something similar? Most routers, you can enter your ISP address into the URL bar of your web browser and it will take you to admin controls. That's just the first things that come to mind.

Also, 10.6.8 would be the most recent for OS version for SL, so go ahead and run those updates while you're at it, ok? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you install the latest Boot Camp drivers for Windows 7? Open up Control Panel from Windows 7, click on Boot Camp, select update. Also, you should have initially loaded the Boot Camp drivers from your Snow Leopard DVD while in Windows 7.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Boot Camp rpblem.

Updated the OS. I do have version 10.6.8.

Opening up control panel in Windows 7 does nothing.

By the way, it's a Macbook with 250HD.

Did get a message that stated "The adapter is not connected" when I was trying to get a Network map of the Wireless Network Connection. (Not really certain how I got there.)

Although I used the Mac Installation disk after Windows was loaded as per instructions to update drivers, somehow or another I think the problem might be old drivers from that disk?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Although I used the Mac Installation disk after Windows was loaded as per instructions to update drivers, somehow or another I think the problem might be old drivers from that disk?

That is a possibility since the Snow Leopard DVD only really supported Windows XP SP2 and 3 as far as drivers are concerned. However, I'm wondering why you don't have the Boot Camp applet in Control Panel? That's how you would get updates from Apple. However, you can get the Boot Camp updates without going through Control Panel.

Go to the Apple Boot Camp Support Page and click on the software updates link.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
That is a possibility since the Snow Leopard DVD only really supported Windows XP SP2 and 3 as far as drivers are concerned. However, I'm wondering why you don't have the Boot Camp applet in Control Panel? That's how you would get updates from Apple. However, you can get the Boot Camp updates without going through Control Panel.

Go to the Apple Boot Camp Support Page and click on the software updates link.

Updated all Apple software to OS 10.6.8. Downloaded, to a flash drive, Boot Camp 5.0.5033. Did this on my other Apple machine, iMac.

Inserted the flash drive into the Macbook USB port, and started Windows 7. Following the directions for start.exe, I get a message that states "Boot Campx64 is unsupported on this computer model."

What's happening and what do I need to do?

To review, what drove me here is that I cannot "see" my home network using Windows 7 on the Macbook, but I can when I boot to OS 10.6.8. Therefore wireless works just fine when I boot into the apple os, but not when I boot into Windows 7.

Wired internet access works ok on both systems, but still cannot "see" the home network in Windows 7 using the wired connection.

Lost in cyberspace!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. I think we need to work out if it's a bootcamp driver issue or a shared networking issue.

In Windows 7 under bootcamp can you:
1. Browse the internet?
2. log into your router?
3. See your other PCs/Macs under Network in Explorer/Computer?
4. Can you answer the same when connected by cable and wifi?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
OK. I think we need to work out if it's a bootcamp driver issue or a shared networking issue.

In Windows 7 under bootcamp can you:
1. Browse the internet?
2. log into your router?

With Windows 7 running . . . .

1. Browse the internet?

Internet can be browsed with the ethernet cable plugged in.
It will NOT browse when the cable is un-plugged.

2. log into your router?
Am able to log into the router, but ONLY with ethernet cable connected, not wireless.

With the ethernet cable plugged in I can see my other computer, iMac (Windows 7 portion of the iMac), and the printers that are on the network (4).
Also, I can see the home network name!
No luck seeing anything when the ethernet cable is disconnected.

As stated above, NOTHING visible with ethernert cable not connected. Everything visible with the ethertnet cable connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Ok, so it's definitely a driver issue.

You need Bootcamp 4. Bootcamp 5 if for Lion and Mountain Lion only.

You also need to be sure that the version of windows you have is supported for the Mac you have.

Which Mac do you have and which version of Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit)

Boot Camp Support Software 4.0.4326

Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems
The Apple Boot Camp support center is showing conflicting information. In one place it states that Boot Camp 5 is what I should use, and another (a graph) shows Boot Camp 4.

However, I'm wondering if the reference to Boot Camp 5 is for the Macbook PRO, which is NOT the model I have. Mine is a Macbook.

So if this is true, and I really need Boot Camp 4, how do I handle it since I've already run Boot Camp 5? (Didn't fix the issue).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no reference to bootcamp 5 for any MacBook. So it's definitely 4 you need but whether it will work depends on which version of windows and which MacBook you have, as per the MacBook table on this page

So long as you have a compatible version of windows installed then you can just run the bootcamp 4 installer.

If the problem persists you can use system restore to roll windows back to a point prior to the bootcamp 5 install and then install 4.

Either way having a compatible windows vs macbook match is key

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Solved

Went back and re-partioned. Loaded Windows 7 back in. Then, using the ethernet cable for internet connection, I downloaded and installed all Windows 7 updates - over 100.

That fixed the problem. I saw 2 or 3 of the updates had to do with the wireless adapter.

Everything is running smooth and the way it should. Did not need to use Boot Camp 4.

Thanks for all the help here!! :):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's working for you.
Just be aware that Mac specific functions, like the volume, brightness etc on the keyboard are unlikely to work until you have the bootcamp driversr installed.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Glad it's working for you.
Just be aware that Mac specific functions, like the volume, brightness etc on the keyboard are unlikely to work until you have the bootcamp driversr installed.

Glad you mentioned that point. I checked the volume link and as you say, it didn't work.

So I did install the boot camp 4 drivers and now, everything works.

This forum is awesome, and I do mean AWESOME, for it's very quick and useful responses. Thanks again for everything!!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.