keyboard doesn't work

B

brody

ok, it hasn't set in yet how crappy this might turn out to be. i was using my 3 week old 15" powerbook this morning doing some stuff in iTunes, and suddenly when i was renaming some song titles, my keyboard quit working. I opened a text document to test it and found that the only keys that even type a character are J, K, L...but they display numbers. none of the other letter or number keys even work. tab and enter seem to work fine, and just last night everything was fine. has anyone had this problem? the really bad part is that being a Windows user, I instinctly restarted, but now I can't even log in with my password cuz the keyboard doesn't work. (that was real smart) I probably won't hesitate to call Apple or take it in, but this sucks.

OP
B

brody

ok...nevermind?

i let it sit there for a while on the os x login screen, and 15 minutes later it displays all the keyboard characters normally.

it was a little low on battery power (near 20%), and i plugged it in. could this affect the keyboard?

i'm still interested if this has happened to anyone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
is it the built in keyboard, or an external one? also, it could havv been the low battery

OP
B

brody

MacAddikt said:
is it the built in keyboard, or an external one? also, it could havv been the low battery

it's the built in one, which is why it bothered me. i don't see how a low battery could make the J key put out a 5, and the rest of them not work at all. as long as it doesn't happen again though, i guess i don't care.

OP
H

hutchhouse

Broken Keyboard?

You might wanna make sure the 'num lock' button isn't pressed. If it is then you'll only get numbers when you type.

Took me a while to work out that my keyboard hadn't bust too ;o)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.