iWeb Question

Reaction score
Hello,
I used iWeb to recreate our school's website - nothing fancy - just a few pages. I published it to a folder on my mac and it works very well - all the links seem to be functional and the pages display ok.

When I tried to publish it through ftp at ftp.beachycove.ca, it seemed to work ok, except I got the message that it had successfully published and could now be viewed at : www dot beachycove dot ca /Beachy_Cove_Elementary - which is of course, not right. When you type that into the browser, it merely gives you a directory structure or list of files that have been ftp'ed.

If you go to www dot beachycove dot ca - you can see the files have been published, but why won't it display? Totally stuck here.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
It sounds like your Index.html file didn't get into the root directory.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not sure

Not sure....if you have a second, just go to www dot beachycove dot ca and see what has been put up there... it lists everything. Really new to this kind of thing so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK, I took a look. Sure enough, there is no "index.html" file there. If you look at your saved website on your hard drive, you will see the index file. ftp it up to join those other files.

OP
A
Reaction score
In the spot where you indicate the publishing details (i.e., to a file or to ftp), there is a box called "site name" and I have just typed in "Beachy Cove Elementary" - might this be a problem?

Also, in the "folder" to which I successfully published the site and could navigate through it, there is a file called index.html, but it presents as if it is a blank sheet - it's just 4kb in size. It's not the normal format of the rest of the files and folders which make up the whole site.

One more thing, when I look at www dot beachycove dot ca, I see two directories? This seems confusing to me - might this be the difficulty.

Again, thanks for your help.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Stop arguing with the situation there, aubrey. The index.html file is just what it sounds like, an "index" that tells html (hyper text markup language) where to find everything and in what order to display your web pages. It's just a stupid index. It is a very small file, and wouldn't look like anything recognizable if you opened it. Just ftp the bloody thing up there, please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Stop being so testy, George, please!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Aubrey - I see your index.html file is up there now, and your website looks good! Glad to have been of help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.