Chargers

Reaction score
I have a new Black MacBook adn I sometimes use my Brothers MacBookPro charger. Will this hurt my MacBook???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i do the same. im wondering if your clock speed will run full throttle?

plug the smaller adapter into it and download/run coreduotemp.

i bet it doesnt run full throttle because the power just isnt there.

will it hurt it? no, doesnt hurt mine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If both chargers are the same wattage, then you shouldn't have any problems. Take a look at the white power brick and on the side it should tell you how many watts it handles.

Looking at my Macbook charger, it says 60W. If the Macbook Pro is also 60W, you won't have anything to worry about. It's possible that it's just one standard used to save costs for Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The MBP charger is 85W and the MacBook is 60W. Using a 60W on an 85W is okay, but you shouldn't be using an 85W in place of a 60W one for your MacBook. It may be fine now, but in the long-term you will risk damaging your notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
The MBP charger is 85W and the MacBook is 60W. Using a 60W on an 85W is okay, but you shouldn't be using an 85W in place of a 60W one for your MacBook. It may be fine now, but in the long-term you will risk damaging your notebook.

this is completely correct....

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, I noticed the wattage was diferent so I'll probably just stick to my standard macbook one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
quick question. i dont do this but always wondered.

the 85w charger will only pull what it needs correct? it is not constantly pulling 85w from the wall? now if this is how it works, i dont see how it could hurt a 60w macbook. since the macbook only ever needs 60w?

now i dont do this, i do occassionally use a 60w adapter on my 85w mbp, very rarely though.

just a question

OP
R
Reaction score
quick question. i dont do this but always wondered.

the 85w charger will only pull what it needs correct? it is not constantly pulling 85w from the wall? now if this is how it works, i dont see how it could hurt a 60w macbook. since the macbook only ever needs 60w?

now i dont do this, i do occassionally use a 60w adapter on my 85w mbp, very rarely though.

just a question

I have noticed a problem that my battery thing on the top bar (not big in technical jargon) is always on 2:45 and my computer will randomly die because i dont know how much battery power i have so i do not recomend using an mbp(haha that looks like manbearpig, sry) charger with mb.

Reaction score
Charger works everywhere but my house

Hi. I recently got a brand new 85w charger from the apple store for my 2008 macbookpro. It "died" in 5 days. So I exchanged it as defective and got another one. Same thing happened--it "died" in 5 days. I took it to a local apple care provider thinking there was something wrong with my computer, but the charger worked perfectly in his office. I then learned it works perfectly at my office too. But the charger refuses to work out of any outlet in my house, even off of a power strip with a surge protector. Could it be the wiring in my house?? The apple guy said I should get a power conditioner. But they're pricey (but maybe worth it). Thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.