Google Chrome: Parallels Desktop was not found.

Reaction score
One day last week, I have no idea why, a popup started showing in Chrome that states:
"Parallels Desktop was not found.
Google Chrome requires Parallels Desktop to operate. Please install Parallels Desktop and try again."

I downgraded Chrome, did some cleaning with Onix. It didn't help.
I am using Maverick 10.9.2
The pop up will come randomly sometimes once every minute. Terrible headache.

So of course I used to have Parallels Desktop long ago, a trial version.
I have no intention to install it again, so what can I do to get rid of the popup?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be Parallels' "Open in Internet Explorer" extension. Do you have that installed?

OP
G
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be Parallels' "Open in Internet Explorer" extension. Do you have that installed?

Are U talking about a Chrome extension?

I don't have such extension installed, but I did install a few chrome extensions at about the same time that this popup started. So I am now becoming alarmed that one of them might be the trigger for the popup. I am gonna remove whatever is suspect.:Evil:

Thanks.

C

chas_m

Is it possible you have downloaded the Windows version of Chrome by accident? That would trigger exactly the error message you are getting.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good catch chas. The message he received didn't make sense until you mentioned that.

OP
G
Reaction score
Is it possible you have downloaded the Windows version of Chrome by accident? That would trigger exactly the error message you are getting.

Ahem... that anyone even think that Mavericks OS would let me install a Windows version of Chrome without blocking it is giving me a weird feeling about this forum.

Anyway... of course NOT. I am running the original Chrome package that came with the Apple OS.
I have been using it for over a year, updating as it comes.
There is no way I could ever run a Windows based version of Chrome in OSX.
Again, I am not using Windows through Parallels here, but Mavericks and a Mac version of Chrome.

Dudes! :Not-Amused:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Oh, and Chrome doesn't come with Apple OS. Safari does, dude!

Chrome is a browser made by Google that you have to download separately. When you visit Google.com on any browser other than Chrome it will automatically show you the download link and it should get the version that's meant for OS X as opposed a Windows version..

What specific action caused the popup to appear? Confirm you don't have any extensions installed in Chrome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He (member chas_m) wasn't referring to installing a Windows version of Chrome in Mavericks, as we all know that wouldn't work. He was referring to having downloaded it previously while running Windows in Parallels since you did post this:

So of course I used to have Parallels Desktop long ago, a trial version.
I have no intention to install it again, so what can I do to get rid of the popup?

OP
G
Reaction score
Haha! My bad. I am so used to chrome being here I forgot it was not part of the OS.

Anyways, I surely had chrome installed while using parallels ages ago.
So maybe it decided to interact with the Mac version if it is still present somewhere on the disk.
I thought that when deleting the Virtual OS in Parallels, I would get rid of the installed software too. And since nothing happened for over a year, I didn't bother about Parallels since.
I guess I could try to delete all and any folder associated with Parallels.

@Raz0rEdge it started to popup when copying through right click menu one day and that's it, now that is the way it still gets triggered after a period of rest (if I quit chrome or stop using it for a while).
Once initiated, it keeps on popping randomly, without a particular trigger, no matter what I type or do in Chrome.

I do have extensions in Chrome, I have tried removing/un-enabling them to no avail.

OP
G
Reaction score
Solved it.
I did a spotlight search for 'Parallels' and went on deleting all the related folders in the system.
The pop up has not come back since.

Thx for all the replies, it somehow emulated me to go ahead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a spotlight search for 'Parallels' and went on deleting all the related folders in the system.
The pop up has not come back since.

Good going! And thanks for posting back. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.