Firefox 29

Reaction score
Just did the update (it's out BTW) and so far have 1 question...
What's the deal with all the browsers in having tabs up top of the window?
If I wanted tabs there I'd use Chrome. Cant see where to change it back (if you can).
Firefox touts customizing but it's getting to look just like Chrome.There's even a little button on the right that's a dropdown menu a la Chrome.
At least my add-ons still work (for now).

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Now I get to peruse the customize prefs for that too :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I removed Firefox the other day, it just gets worse instead of better. I don't know what the deal is with Mozilla but it seems like they've fallen down on both FF and T-Bird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I'm with Charlie.

Used to be my sole browser but gets more difficult to use with each update. Safari exclusively at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I updated as well. So far very happy with it. No real problems that I have found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Firefox is up to version 29? And poor old Safari is languishing at version 7. LOL! This mad race to jack up the version number is absurd. FF will be at version 165 within a few years if they keep up this pace.

I removed Firefox the other day, it just gets worse instead of better. I don't know what the deal is with Mozilla but it seems like they've fallen down on both FF and T-Bird.

Firefox does suck. I think much of the reason is it's not even a "proper" Mac-native piece of software. Seriously. One of the nice things about OS X is you can assign custom keyboard shortcuts to any menu item in any native app. I've done just that for full screen mode, using F19. In Firefox, the menu shows the command should be F19, but it doesn't actually work because it's not Mac-native. I keep it around now just for the off-chance I run into some site that won't work properly in Safari.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox is up to version 29? And poor old Safari is languishing at version 7. LOL! This mad race to jack up the version number is absurd. FF will be at version 165 within a few years if they keep up this pace.
Version numbers don't really mean anything anymore. Apple, for example, does the opposite of convention by using minor version number updates (10.x) for major releases which is just as bad. For example, Safari should have a much higher version number than it does. The jump from 6.0 to 6.1, for instance, probably should have been 6.0 to 7.0. In the end though, none of that matters.

Firefox does suck. I think much of the reason is it's not even a "proper" Mac-native piece of software. Seriously. One of the nice things about OS X is you can assign custom keyboard shortcuts to any menu item in any native app. I've done just that for full screen mode, using F19. In Firefox, the menu shows the command should be F19, but it doesn't actually work because it's not Mac-native. I keep it around now just for the off-chance I run into some site that won't work properly in Safari.
The excuse used to be (and still probably is) that since Firefox is cross-platform, using one toolkit makes things a lot easier since you don't have to maintain three separate UI layers (WinForms, Cocoa and a toolkit for Linux platforms such as GTK or QT). The downside, as you see, is that it's not native anywhere. This is exacerbated by the fact that Mozilla unabashedly privileges Windows integration (I can't find the blog post but a dev at Mozilla said this plain and clear) for marketshare reasons which ends up meaning that OS X and Linux get neglected (not so much the latter though since distro developers hack away and integrate it quite well). This excuse is ridiculous though - Chrome is native to each of the three platforms, using WinForms, Cocoa and GTK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.