Is there a way to stop a MacBook Pro from going to sleep when you shut the lid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Hey,

As I'm getting rid of my desktop pretty soon, I'm going to be using my MBP on my monitor a lot more. I'm doing so now, however, it is slightly annoying having two different-sized displays, and (obviously) whenever I shut the lid on the MBP it puts itself to sleep.

I was wondering if there was a way to shut the lid without it going to sleep, so I could have the MBP tucked away somewhere when using it on the monitor with a keyboard and mouse (kind of like a Mac Mini effect). Is this possible, or will I just have to put up with the laptop being partially open and on top of my desk next to the monitor while using the monitor?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you move the mouse or connect an external display, it will keep it from going to sleep.

OP
DriftNismo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you move the mouse or connect an external display, it will keep it from going to sleep.

It's connected to an external display right now, and I've even tried continuously moving the mouse while I shut the lid, and about a second after I shut the lid it freezes for a second and then goes to sleep :|.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm sorry, I worded that badly. Shut the lid and the machine will go to sleep. Connect a display/keyboard/mouse and it should wake up.

If you want to prevent it from sleeping entirely, there are a couple of programs like Sleepless and Insomniax that will do this. Just keep in mind that a lot of heat is vented from the keyboard. Closing the lid can contain the heat and the machine will run warmer.

OP
DriftNismo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, I worded that badly. Shut the lid and the machine will go to sleep. Connect a display/keyboard/mouse and it should wake up.

If you want to prevent it from sleeping entirely, there are a couple of programs like Sleepless and Insomniax that will do this. Just keep in mind that a lot of heat is vented from the keyboard. Closing the lid can contain the heat and the machine will run warmer.

Ah, ok, I'll take a look at those programs and test them out tomorrow and see how hot it gets after how long. Tyvm for your help :).

Reaction score
I do this a lot with my macbook. Just plug the display, keyboard and mouse in and then close the notebook. Wait about 5-10 seconds till everything goes to sleep then move the mouse or press some keys on the keyboard and it should wake up to your desktop/password screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I do this a lot with my macbook. Just plug the display, keyboard and mouse in and then close the notebook. Wait about 5-10 seconds till everything goes to sleep then move the mouse or press some keys on the keyboard and it should wake up to your desktop/password screen

Exactly! I do the same thing all the time. Like right now. Let the Mac go fully to sleep, then wake it up with the keyboard or mouse. Then it will automatically adjust its resolution for the external monitor and you're good to go.

OP
DriftNismo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ah, I tried moving the mouse, but didn't try the keyboard. Just using InsomniaX to keep it awake now, pretty useful program :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
A strong word of warning about using your macbook pro with the lid closed.

MBPs generate a lot of heat. This heat can and will damage your LCD screen after extended time of running it while closed. I had this happen to my MBP, the damage will be gradual and you wont notice it for a while... it will begin with a small area in the LCD screen that will be slightly darker than the rest of the screen.. you wont notice it much if the display is showing picture with lots of variation and your in a bright room with the LCD full bright... but if you pull up an image of a white or gray solid color and have you LCD setting less than half you will start to see it. It will only get worse and more noticeable.

I was lucky and it happened while my MBP was still under warranty so the apple store replaced the screen... but be warned. These things run hot and heat isn't a friend of the LCD panels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm not sure where the heat rumor got started, but the system is absolutely designed and tested to work with the lid closed. The vents are positioned so that they will be clear under the hinge with the lid closed; there are no vents under the keyboard.

The only risk is that you could leave it running while it is in a bag or a case. That would cook your system, and for that reason, InsomniaX and Sleepless are a bad idea.

thomas998,If your LCD failed, it did so due to a defect. It was most likely not heat related, and probably would have failed even sooner if it had been on all that time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm not sure where the heat rumor got started,
It got started when a hack (Screen Spanning Doctor) was released that allowed iBooks to operate under clamshell mode.

Early iBooks were neither designed nor intended to run with their lids closed.
They had no internal fans, since they did actually vent heat through the keyboard.
So, if you did use the hack for your iBook you ran the risk of overheating and cooking your notebook.

Now, this is a moot point since all PowerBooks, MacBooks, MacBook Pros and even later models of the iBook G4 have allowed for clamshell mode.

Now yes, if you block the vents while running in closed lid mode you do run the risk of damaging your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I'm not sure where the heat rumor got started, but the system is absolutely designed and tested to work with the lid closed. The vents are positioned so that they will be clear under the hinge with the lid closed; there are no vents under the keyboard.

The only risk is that you could leave it running while it is in a bag or a case. That would cook your system, and for that reason, InsomniaX and Sleepless are a bad idea.

thomas998,If your LCD failed, it did so due to a defect. It was most likely not heat related, and probably would have failed even sooner if it had been on all that time.

I can only say what the tech at the apple store said when I took my computer in. He stated that the dark spots on the LCD screen were caused from having the computer running with the lid closed... according to him he had seen some computers come into the store where you could see the outline of the keys on the keyboard burned into the comptuer... having see the dark spots on my laptop I don't think these are rumors. It may also have to do with which video card your laptop is using too, whether it runs on the integrated or non-integrated could change the amount of heat. But if you believe its a rumor then feel free to run your computer with the lid closed all you want... I've seen that the results are and I don't want to lose my laptop for another week while the LCD is replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I can only say what the tech at the apple store said when I took my computer in. He stated that the dark spots on the LCD screen were caused from having the computer running with the lid closed... according to him he had seen some computers come into the store where you could see the outline of the keys on the keyboard burned into the comptuer...
Perhaps he was misinformed, or perhaps you didn't understand him. It is common for the outline of the keys to be visible on the screen, but this happens even if you don't ever use lid-closed mode; it's just grease and dust being transferred to the screen surface when the computer is closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Perhaps he was misinformed, or perhaps you didn't understand him. It is common for the outline of the keys to be visible on the screen, but this happens even if you don't ever use lid-closed mode; it's just grease and dust being transferred to the screen surface when the computer is closed.

I understood him quite well. I also understand the difference between dirt/grease on a screen and damaged LCDs. It is equally possible that YOU are simply uninformed as to the problem.

Reality is LCD screens can be damaged by heat. You will find people that found out the hard way that putting a LCD TV above the fireplace was a dumb idea when it was damaged by the heat. In general LCDs safe storage temps vary by design with a standard unit capable of -20 to 70 C... a wide range LCD capable of -40 to 100 C.... Now I have no idea what type Apple puts inside there laptops, and doubt you do either... I do know that heat goes up and that when I opened my macbook pro from being used with the lid down that the screen was hot (regardless of whether the heat is intended to vent through the back). Those are the realities.

If you are dead certain that there are no dangers in running one closed, then you have your opinion. I am dead certain that it is not safe and have see with my own eye the effect. So people can believe you, who claim its safe because you've never seen the problem, or they can believe me who claims its not safe because I've seen the problem.... If you want to play it safe I think we know who to believe now don't we.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
I've heard both sides of the story, that it's safe, and it isn't. But personally I wouldn't run it closed, just to be careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

If Apple thought it wasn't safe or if they thought it was highly recommended that you didn't do such a thing, then directions on how to do so would never be posted on their site.
In fact, it would be quite the opposite.
If it was dangerous, they would post something strongly advising you against it.

For example, despite popular opinion, Apple does not sell laptops.
They don't call their portable computers laptops.
Despite the fact that most users continue to do so and even use these computers on their laps, Apple does advise users of their portable computers to avoid using their machines on their lap.

Apple - Support - MacBook Pro - Care and Handling
Apple said:
place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.

Reaction score
installed InsomniaX a few hours ago, ive noticed it seems to ignore the settings under "Energy Savings"..

I told InsomniaX to not sleep when the lid is closed but i still want the screen to turn off after X amount of minutes and the computer to sleep after X amount of minutes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.