My imac will not start

Reaction score
My imac was doing the color wheel spin for a while so I turned it off. When I turned it back on the screen showed just the apple logo with a spinning wheel (not the usual color wheel) and a bar below showing the progress of loading however it never progressed past about 1/10th of the bar. Help!!! What is wrong with my lovely imac???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
The info you have given us so far isn't enough for a diagnosis. You'll need to do some troubleshooting. - as well as telling us what iMac model (from - about this Mac) and OS X version.
Start by doing a Safe Boot -
Start up and after hearing the gong sound, hold the shift key until the computer boots. It will take longer than usual because it is doing some checking and repairs in the background. You can restart normally after that completes - tell us if it then boots up normally? and any other result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try inserting the Snow Leopard DVD, and reboot holding down 'C' immediate;y after the chime. If it boots, leave the Installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.