Power Macintosh G3 Startup Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
Hey guys, I just recently got a used Power Macintosh G3 minitower from a guy, and the first time it booted just fine in mac os 9.2. A message popped up and said something to the extent of, 'Clock and date need to be updated'. The next time I booted it up, it booted up to a gray-blue screen with a little '_' line on the top left corner of the screen. From there it would do absolutely nothing. I've tried everything, starting with extensions off, zapping the pram, replacing the pram, starting up from an OS CD disk, etc. If you guys have any ideas as to what to do, I would greatly appreciate it. It might be the hard drive, (there are two in there btw) as it makes a small clunking noise, and the other makes a high pitch error kinda noise. Maybe I'll try to start it up with a different hard drive. Thanks for the help..

Reaction score
Open it up and replace the motherboard battery. That's what caused the clock to die.
Some Macs will not boot if the battery is dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.