DVD Burner - G4 Powerbook

M

myjay610

Hi All -

I would like to setup an external DVD burner for my powerbook g4. What I want to do is buy an internal drive and an enclosure and then just build my external that way. Are there only certain drives which work for mac?

I am having a lot of trouble finding information on this - basically I was looking at drives for about $60 - but wasn't sure if they would work on OS/X. The enclosures say it is comptable, however. The brand was Lite On for the drive.

Has anyone done this before? Would I need to get anything else besides the drive and enclosure?

Thanks,
John

OP
C

Cloudane

I used a ViPower USB 2.0 enclosure on the Mac and it was very unreliable (sometimes wouldn't detect it, Toast kept making coasters etc)... yet it works perfectly on the PC. YMMV.

OP
M

myjay610

Cloudane said:
I used a ViPower USB 2.0 enclosure on the Mac and it was very unreliable (sometimes wouldn't detect it, Toast kept making coasters etc)... yet it works perfectly on the PC. YMMV.

Really, ****, what about the drive, which drive did you use?

OP
C

Cloudane

Drive is a Pioneer DVR103. FWIW I imagine any other drive/enclosure would work, as that's how Macs usually go.. but seems I had less luck on this occasion.

OP
M

myjay610

Cloudane said:
Drive is a Pioneer DVR103. FWIW I imagine any other drive/enclosure would work, as that's how Macs usually go.. but seems I had less luck on this occasion.

Cool thanks, I ordered an encloser that is os/x compatable, and the drive didn't list it, but I called tech support and said it would work as long as the enlcosure is.. and the enclosure come w/ the drivers for os/x so... I'll cross my fingers.

Thanks again.

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.