iphone locked

Reaction score
my friend has an iphone that he just bought off another guy. he wanted to get rid of all the pics, contacts etc. on the phone. so he says he went into settings and hit a 'clear' button or something similar and the phone said it would take 30mins to do this. after 30 mins he checked the phone now it will only let him make emg. calls and has a little padlock at the top of the screen. he is clueless about this sort of thing so i said i would take it off him over the weekend and try and fix it (i havent seen it yet). i dont have an iphone myself but does anyone know what he has done or how i can fix it for him? cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like the phone hasn't been activated yet. He'll need to contact his authorized iPhone provider and ask them to activate his iPhone-supporting contract.

Or it's just sim locked?

OP
I
Reaction score
hi thanks for the reply. he said when he first got it off the guy he put his sim into it and it worked fine until he hit that button.

OP
I
Reaction score
is it possible the phone was stolen and then sold on to him and when he put his own sim into it o2 have locked it? can you lock an iphone even if its a new sim thats been put in?

OP
I
Reaction score
i just spoke to him again apparently there is a pic on the screen under the padlock showing that the phone needs to be connected to itunes? if this dosent make sense ill leave it until i have the phone myself and i can see whats going on with it. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
i just spoke to him again apparently there is a pic on the screen under the padlock showing that the phone needs to be connected to itunes? if this dosent make sense ill leave it until i have the phone myself and i can see whats going on with it. thanks
Okay yeah, that sounds like it's not yet been activated.

iPhone's are sold with a subsidy, which means you get the phone cheaper because you're paying for a contract or pay-as-you-go card with a data plan attached.

Other sims will only work on unlocked phones, but they carry a much higher price tag usually (and aren't available in all countries. Italy, france and the czech republic have them for instance).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.