Firefox downloading wrong files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
Sorry if this has been dealt with already - I've searched but can't find the answer.

I only switched from PC this week and am getting there slowly. Last night I tried to download the Flickr uploader for Mac from the Flickr website. Although Firefox told me I was downloading the .dmg, as soon as it started I had an .exe with a random name on my desktop. When I double clicked this I was asked if i wanted to install the MS Office for Mac test. I stopped and d/l it again. Different random name, same result.

Later I was trying to d/l another installation of a different bit of software from a different site. Same result.

I googled and saw a couple of people with the same experience but no answer. I went back with Safari and got the files I wanted, so it looks like a Firefox with Mac issue.

I want to use Firefox as Safari won't do some of the things I need.

Does anybody now the answer to this one?

Thanks,

Jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz
yeah, it does that with me you must have clicked to save your files somewhere else no? on mine i save to my backup, it dl's to the backup but leaves a random file on the desktop - i assume it's due to secvurity lacking in firefox and someone is piggybacking odd files. i stopped using firefox for this reason and also felt it too much like IE, oh and also don't go shopping on the net with firefox use safari or opera as sometimes the security of some sites dont work on firefox
- i now use opera.

hope that helps you

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac

I think I just accepted the default download location. The thing about the "random" file is that it starts up the Mac Office trial when clicked. I assume there is a file association problem somewhere. There is no way that I have actually downloaded the file in question from Flickr (I proved this when using Safari).

Anyone else have a view?

Cheers,

Jack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.