Wifi Ipod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Okay, I've seen some rumours on websites, and apart from that, just everyday people, talking about how good a wifi ipod would be.

Normally I never acknowledge rumours or "wishes" for furture products, but for this case let's just entertain the idea that apple will introduce a wifi ipod..

How on earth would this work? The only benefit I can think of would be downloading updated versions of podcasts or a new song, on the go, right?

So that would involve telecommunications capabability, right? Because there's no other way wifi would work? So who on earth would buy one? Because that would involve a TELCO charging you money to download free podcasts because you're using their network, no?

Because wifi by itself would be just as unsuccessful as the zune, sending songs to your friends to play 3 times, so it would need telecommunications ability not just wifi.

Any comments? I just think the whole suggestion of wifi ipods is rediculous.

Reaction score
you could be right. but a bluetooth ipod would be pretty cool.

you could update your library from your front door in case your in a rush but want that new album on for your road trip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Wifi iPod would be cool when your in your home, one less wire to have connected when you just want to update your library, of course the cable does charge your ipod as well as update the library so perhaps there is little point.

A wifi iPod would drain the battery quicker - which for some, perhaps, most of us; would not be ideal.

Now a bluethooth enabled iPod, now that would be cool, again you could update your library wirelessly as stated above. Again the battery would be affected. BUT I think the biggest advantage of a bluetooth enabled iPod would be wireless headphones! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Ohhh I see.. Yeah that's a good point, wireless headphones would be pretty good, and designed by Apple so I assume they would be decent unlike the variety currently available.

And I understand what you mean about wifi updating inside the home being a cool thing, but then you also mention that the cable syncs and charges so the benefit kinda neutralises.. Hmm good points.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
slight hijack, but do we think there will be an update to the iPod any time soon? I'm after an iPod in the next month or so, but it's been a while since the last update, so I reckon it's worth hanging on isn't it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.