Cheap 'imitation' batteries

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I was wanting to buy a spare battery for my 13" White MacBook, purely for a long car journey I'm taking later this month. I will only be using it on the way there and on the way back, and after that it's very unlikely that I will ever use it again!

So I didn't fancy paying the nearly-£100 price tag on the Apple website, and moved over to eBay. Now I've heard there are quite a few cheap imitation batteries on there and people warn you to steer clear, but, I just wanted to know would an imitation battery actually do any harm to my MacBook?!

I'm so reluctant to spend a large amount on a battery I am going to use twice!

I'll be thankful if you could help :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you thought about purchasing an auto power inverter instead? They plug in to your auto's cigarette lighter socket and provide AC power out to run your MacBook. They're much less expensive than a spare battery that will only be used twice... :)

Check with amazon.com.uk I'm in the US but here's an example of what I'm referring to: Link

Regards.

OP
Kate88
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think I'll have access to the 12v charger in the car as there will be 4 of us fighting over it haha.

But thankyou for the suggestion, I will certainly keep it in mind!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Have you thought about purchasing an auto power inverter instead? They plug in to your auto's cigarette lighter socket and provide AC power out to run your MacBook. They're much less expensive than a spare battery that will only be used twice... :)

Check with amazon.com.uk I'm in the US but here's an example of what I'm referring to: Link

Regards.

Good idea. It probably wont blow up either!

OP
Kate88
Reaction score
Blow up?

Like I said, unfortunately I won't have access to the cars cigarette lighter socket.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.