PC won't recognize network - Airport Extreme

Reaction score
I upgraded my 802.11b router to an Airport Extreme. My MacPro is connected via LAN. My Macbook has a successful wireless connection to my network.

My problem: I want my Dell on Windows XP to have a wireless connection as well. The PC is still looking for the old router: Dell Trumobile 1180. I am still using the Trumobile 1180 wireless adapter to find my new network.

The wireless connection is excellent; however the Dell is not recognizing my new network.

I've been trying to figure this out on my own and have gotten nowhere!

What do I do?

Thanks so much!!!

Shannon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
first thing to do is on your Dell go to network connections> your wireless card> right click > properties > wireless connections> and delete you old router in the wireless connections box so that it will no longer know that it existed.

your problem is that your USB adapter is old and is using wireless B and most likely can not connect to your extreme with your current security settings.

try using these settings:

picture2uxe.png

this turns off all your security just to see if it connects and it will most likely connect now. if it doesnt work then restart your Dell and then try to connect again. windows is funny about these things and usually a restart will help connect to a new wireless network.

you now have to go back and choose a security setting that your USB wireless B card can handle or i would suggest it is time to get that Dell a wireless G card or if both your other macs are newer and have the wireless N option on them then you could get a USB wireless N card for your Dell. they are not that pricey these days and would greatly increase your Dell's networking speed.

hope that helped

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.