Harddrive Failure

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have an issue with my Seagate 500GB SATA2 Harddrive. It won't boot up, won't load in Disk Utility, and makes bootup extremely slow when I do have it connected on bootup (which it fails to bootup anyways).

The weird thing is, the drive was manufactured in 2009 so it's not even 2 years old.

Any ideas if I am in luck with getting data off of the drive? Or does it sound completely lost?

Also, what would cause this sort of issue? I understand that SATA2 supports hotswapping drives but Leopard 10.5 does not? Does anybody know if this is true and if Snow Leopard 10.6 supports hotswapping drives while the computer is turned on?

I am running Leopard 10.5 and have hotswapped my drive a few times.. not very often but it seems to work.. just not sure if it's safe? Wondering if this could be the issue? I also used MacDrive which is known to completely mess up harddrives, corrupt them but not destroy them completely. Combination of the two maybe? Or just a faulty drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trust you took the trouble to register the drive with Seagate as last year they were offering a five year warranty and drives can be as dead as a dooir nail when remov ed from packaging.

Hot swapping can corrupt the data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.