• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need advice burning home movies to Blu ray...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 MBP 2.6GHz, iPhone 4, iPad 2, Apple TV 2, iPod 3rd gen, iPod Touch 2nd gen
I want to start transferring some home movies to Blu ray, but am a bit overwhelmed by the number of options. I've used iMovie several times in the past to create wedding videos I've shot for friends in conjunction with iDVD, but have had an HD Handycam for a few years now that I want to start utilizing the HD quality for burning home movies.

I have a Sony HD Handycam (HDR-CX130), Samsung Bluray writer (model SE-506), and MBP (late '08 model I think) 2.6Ghz with OSX 10.6.8.

Having used imovie for all my previous stuff, I wish I could continue using it as I have really enjoyed working with it so far, but am aware it doesn't support burning to BD. I have looked at a few software options (Toast 11, Aiseesoft BR Ripper, and FCP). I'd read that Toast was less than desirable with it's menu options, etc, saw good reviews on at least the overall quality and capability of Aiseesoft, but hadn't looked in depth much more at any of the FCPs given the cost, relative to my novice/home enthusiast level at this time.

Given that it doesn't seem possible at least in the near future to utilize iMovie for editing and effectively burning to BD, I'm interested in the most reliable, compatible software anyone has experience with, that is similar to Imovie's ease of use, and has similar similar editing tools (transitions, audio, etc). If Final Cut is really the best option to get the Mac ease of use style, I'll happily pay for it if it will give longevity of use, but if there are cheaper (Toast and Aiseesoft were a fraction of the cost) options, that are as effective on my level, I'd love to pursue those.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

C

chas_m

Aiseesoft = Chinese spammers. I would think twice and then think again about giving them ANY personal information, plus their software (while functional) is all painfully ugly ports of PC software.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^
Not to mention that all those "good" reviews you found were written by them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 MBP 2.6GHz, iPhone 4, iPad 2, Apple TV 2, iPod 3rd gen, iPod Touch 2nd gen
Ok. I will scratch it from the list of potential solutions.

Reaction score
iMovie 10 plus Blu-ray Creator

I'm interested in the most reliable, compatible software anyone has experience with, that is similar to Imovie's ease of use

I have been using Premiere Elements 10 to edit and burn to both DVD and Blu-ray, due to iMovie 11 degrading image quality. However, it's rather flakey and certainly doesn't match iMovie's ease of use.

Since upgrading my Mac Mini to Mavericks, I have tried iMovie v10 - and I'm very happy with this; fast, intuitive, and much better IQ from AVCHD footage.

That leaves the problem of burning DVD and BD, but take a look at Leawo Blu-ray Creator in the mac app store. I produced a very acceptable Blu-ray disc at the first attempt by "sharing" my iMovie 10 project to file, and dragging the resulting .mp4 file into Blu-ray creator. Menu templates are not quite up to iDVD standards, but you can change fonts and background images if you want - and it is an extremely simple program to use.

The biggest drawback I've found is that there is no simple way to add chapter markers to the disc, but if you can live with this it's worth a try for sheer simplicity and good quality.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.