Should I Get the New 15" Unibody MBP or the old 17" MBP

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to purchase my first apple computer. I have decided on the MacBook Pro. Being that I have never owned a mac or really used the mac OS, i wanted to get your opinion on which MBP to purchase.

Right now, I am torn between the new 15" unibody MBP, or the last gen 17" MBP. Both are within 5% price difference at macmall. Which one would you buy? I am aware of the differences between the two, but since I have not used a mac before, I do not know how much of a difference each feature is "worth".

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
What will you be using it for? Will you be using it as a desktop replacement, or will you be taking it with you a lot? The 15" will offer you greater portability and longer battery life (being able to choose the graphics processor) than the 17". The 17" offers (of course) a larger screen and a higher resolution screen (133 pixels per inch vs. 110 pixels per inch).

OP
A
Reaction score
well, the main reason i am buying a mac is so i can use the iphone sdk.

i am also selling my thinkpad, to help gather funds. thus it will also be my only laptop. i dont use my laptop "on the go" much, so the 15" to 17" travel size doesn't matter much.

graphics processor wise. the 8600 and 9600 are really pretty much the same. they are within 5% of a performance difference. in terms of performance, the new one isn't really any different then the old one.

if the newer unibody ones are significantly cooler temperature wise then the 17", that may be enough to sway my decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 2.2 core 2 duo,Macbook/iphone/ipod/apple Hi-Fi/MacBook Pro 13"/ipod nano/iPad 64 wifi/
Have you checked on the apple store for refub unit? I have not looked today but you can get some good deals. You may see some other configurations that you may like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you are going desktop replacement 17 any hint of packing this around 15.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
Personally i would go for the 17". Just because there is such a great difference between a 15" and a 17". But if you need it for more graphics intensive tasks go for the new 15" because it has an updated graphics card. The best option would probably be the new 17" pro but with that price tag its out of my reach.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.