IMac g4 os 9.1 installation issues

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got an IMac g4 from my school (they upgraded, and gave me an old one) and it turns out that the OS is not installed. I dont have the original 9.1 installation disk. i just have one that they gave me with it, along with an OS 10.0 installation disk. When i try to install OS 9.1, the installation gets to the Starting Up screen, and about a quarter of the way loading, it freezes. Ive tried restarting, and that still didnt work. I have no clue what to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G;day and welcome to the forums.

It depends on exactly which model iMac G4 you have. For example the very first model is capable of running OS 9.2.2 ONLY, and no earlier, together with OS X.1.3 and again no earlier. The 15" 2003 model will not install OS 9 at all, only OS X.2.3 and higher.

Are you sure you do not have a G3 iMac, the original iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You still have not told us what processor the iMac has. Believe it or not there are seven different models in the G4 range with all different specifications as to operating systems. Only the very first two models, 600.700MHz and 800MHz run OS 9.2.2, some of the remainder can run up to Tiger OS X.4.11 and others up to leopard OS X.5.8.

Download a free utility called Mactracker to check them all out. Mactracker Archive Link:-

http://www.mactracker.ca/archive.html

And no you need a system install disc and without model details can't really help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.