• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to fade out in iMovie?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to get a video to fade out along with the audio in iMovie, but the video is black way before the audio is done fading (see image attachment). The other photo I've attached is showing "Show Precision Editor" when you right click on the fade-to-black transition.

Ive tried for several hours now to get the audio and video fade out to sync. Its so annoying to spend so much time on something that should be very simple!

Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks for any replies!

1.png

2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The video goes black before the audio fades for the simple reason that the video is shorter than the audio, by 21 seconds looking at the times that you've circled.

You could:
Add a black background at the beginning of the video and adjust it's length, and move the audio track to the left, until you get your required fade out.
Add some extra video to do the same.
Adjust the speed of the video; ie, slow it down, to get the fade out.
Use a shorter audio track.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for reply! On the lower image you can see that the video is actually longer than the audio. I dont get it: on the lower image you can see the dark diagonal line to decide where the fade out is going to be. The line tells it to get completely black when the audio ends. but instead it gets completely black in the center of the diagonal line (you can't see this on the image ofc but it happens when its played).ill experiment a bit with your suggestions! actually I can make it to fit the audio by starting the fade out more far to the right to match it with the audio. But then i have more than 10 sec with a black screen and no audio :p Hope my english make sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
On the lower image you can see that the video is actually longer than the audio. I dont get it
No. I don't get it either.

To get what you want, the video must be the same length as the audio in the first picture.

Reaction score
Open your iMovie program and select the iMovie project you want to add a fade to. ...
Go to the "Windows" tab located along the top pane of your iMovie program.
Scroll down the menu and select the "Transitions" option (for Mac users the shortcut is "Command -> 4").
Select the "Fade Through Black" transition option.
This is going to help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is going to help you.
Not until the video is the same length as the audio. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.