• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Flash "Gala" beta for OS X 10.6.3 using h264 hardware acceleration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
New Flash 'Gala' uses Apple's H.264 hardware acceleration | 9 to 5 Mac

I downloaded the beta that is available, and let me tell you... wow. Somebody at Adobe finally listened. If you have compatible hardware (9400m and newer video card I believe) flash will now use H264 hardware acceleration for video decoding, thanks to Apple allowing them access to the API.

On my 2GHz C2D aluminum MacBook, it cut the use from 80-90% while viewing video pre "gala" to 40-50% post "gala."

I'd call that a win. I could honestly give a crap about the politics, I'm just glad that I won't be lighting my leg on fire any time soon for video now. That is sweet.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That said, it seems that it does not work in Chrome. Just in Safari. But yea... 38% cpu use at 360p video. Compared to 70-78% cpu use on the same video in Chrome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DR, Read Anandtechs review. I swear he had it working in Chrome.

Also just so people know, it only works with Nvidia graphics chipsets and like DR said starting with the 9400m.

"The tests below look at CPU utilization of the Flash plugin alone in Chrome (this is single core CPU utilization). The column on the left is without GPU acceleration, the one on the right with GPU acceleration:"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3682/adobe-enables-gpu-flash-acceleration-in-os-x-we-test-it#comments

DR, are you using the latest Chrome?

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am. From what I'm reading you have to figure out how to disable the built in chrome flash plugin and replace it with the new gala one manually... unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it. :(

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That guy was also a moron. I'm fairly certain he is running the HTML 5 beta on youtube and just didn't see a difference from hulu to chrome because of that. I watched glee just to test, and where hulu before commanded 80-90% of my cpu use, i was down at 30%. This was done in Safari. I guess according to his test, double my numbers, because he gives a per core analysis. I like a nice round 100% to look at.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting... watching the Daily Show, I see the white square that would indicate that flash is using hardware acceleration... but there's no way it is. The same video in Safari uses like 1/3 the amount of CPU.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.