I just accidently formatted my external in disk utility!

Reaction score
Hello,
So, as the title says, I just accidently formatted my 1TB hard drive into ntfs and deleted everything in disk utility :( Can someone point me to where I can get software to repair this, it only took about a minute to do, so i believe it was just a quick format.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SuperTron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Unplug it and don't touch it!!!!! Get a program called File Scavenger. It WILL work. (on a pc based machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
I unplugged it... so i should get file scavenger and run it on a pc with my hard drive connected? Will that just copy the files? or replace the original memory pointers on the hard drive? The problem is I dont have space to put all my stuff... it would be much better if I could just reformat to HFS+ with all my stuff there ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
And I tried the stellar program, but it wont see my external, only my internal drives.... so if anyone could show me how to use that that would be great :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello,
So, as the title says, I just accidently formatted my 1TB hard drive into ntfs and deleted everything in disk utility :( Can someone point me to where I can get software to repair this, it only took about a minute to do, so i believe it was just a quick format.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SuperTron

I don't know what you did, but you didn't use Disk Utility to format your external drive to NTFS as DU is incapable of formatting anything to NTFS. Did you accidentally format it to FAT-32 or reformat it as HFS+? Or did you use the Windows Disk Manager to format the drive to NTFS?

You said you tried Stellar Data Recovery and it couldn't "see" the drive? Which version of Stellar did you use? There is a version for Windows and for the Mac.

We need to know exactly what it is you did?

In the meantime, you might want to try Data Rescue.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, ok so, first of all, I did use disk utility to format it to ntfs, because I have ntfs-3g installed on my computer :p

Secondly, I am using the mac version of stellar pheonix, version 3.5.

by "i cant see the drive" i mean that when i select the format recovery option, only my internal drives show up, the only way I seem to be able to see my hard drive is by selecting the scan option, letting the hard drive be scanned and then recovering the data.... Thats what im attempting to do now, anything wrong with that idea? again, any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows how to use stellar pheonix version 3.5 to recover external hard drives it would be nice :)

Thanks,
SuperTron

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. You never mentioned using NTFS 3G in your initial post. If the drive has been formatted to NTFS like you say, try the Windows version of Stellar instead.

What you're doing now by scanning the drive and attempting to recover that way is also OK. Should work, albeit slow.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright, so just to clarify, right now I am using the "search for lost/damaged drives" option of steller pheonix, and this is what it looks like after a night of scanning (attached). Once this finishes, I will use the reformatted drive recovery option, and im hoping I can get my stuff back. However, how will i know which drive to recover from, there are 23 lost/damaged drives found as of right now :( If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Cheers,
SuperTron

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.