RAM upgrade

rab

Reaction score
Hi. I need to upgrade ram on my G5. Currently got 256 MB. I bought a 1 GB stick .....then read the instructions. It looks like I need to get 2 identical sticks so would have to buy same again or trade in for 2 x 512MB. Is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Yes, you have to install RAM in pairs.

Reaction score
Hi. I need to upgrade ram on my G5. Currently got 256 MB. I bought a 1 GB stick .....then read the instructions. It looks like I need to get 2 identical sticks so would have to buy same again or trade in for 2 x 512MB. Is that right?

You can run your G5 on the 1GB + 256MB if you want rab, then buy a second 1GB module when you can afford one.

If you pair your RAM you will gain a certain percent over non-matched RAM but IMHO, I couldn't say if you would really notice this depending of course, on the type of things you do from day to day. Any RAM upgrade from your 256MB X 2 will provide noticeable gains but if you pair, then you maximise all the potential gains.

Pairing RAM

OP
R

rab

Reaction score
Aha! Had already ordered the 2nd stick. Never mind. I look forward to life with a supercomputer. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.