iMac RAM question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey,

Just a question regarding the memory capacity of the iMac,

The one I'm getting will have 1GB in (2X512 sticks). This disappointed me a little as when I was first thinking of getting an iMac (way back when the first "new" model ones came out) the option was to have 1GB as 1X1GB module, therefore it would leave more room for future upgrades.

So say a few months down the line I want to upgrade to 2GB RAM, I will already have 1GB in the form of 2X512 sticks, will I have room to put another GB stick in? If so will that be it, full? I know with many Windows based motherboards that if you fill the Memory banks then the overall processing speed of the memory drops down.

Also, will one of the 512 modules be soldered onto the motherboard like the iBook?

So many questions lol... sorry for my incompetence :confused:

Regards,

Chris.

H

Hulk_SMASH

Since it is not a mini you can have a total of 3GB instead of 2, so you can go out and get a 2GB single stick (expensive) and pop out one of your 512s and have a total of 2.5GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.