Slow running macbook pro

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old MacBook Pro. I get the beach ball a lot (especially when accessing the internet), it is VERY slow - even when running 1 application, if I have 1 item in the trash can to delete, it tells me it is deleting 3 items.
I have had it to the Genius Bar - they found nothing wrong with it, but the performance is so bad I cannot believe that this is what can be expected from a 2 year old machine.
I have installed MacKeeper to keep it clean and in good working order, my spec is 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and memory of 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. My hard disk is 250GB and have FREE 25GB. All software is up-to-date.

Any suggestions to get my machine running much faster?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
MacKeeper is a fraud and can cause the kinds of issues you're seeking to correct. I would recommend uninstalling it immediately.

25GB of 250GB is only 10%, generally you want to have about 20% free disk space on your system partition. So, you may want to consider upgrading to a 500GB drive - that may do the trick in and of itself.

What I would recommend for now is to follow the steps in this blog article as a start. When you've gotten through with them, let us know how it went and whether the problem persists.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

OP
G
Reaction score
Many thanks cwa107, I'll check the blog and see if this improves things. Thanks also for re-directing the thread - new to the website and still becoming familiar with the correct forums etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.