• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Motion Blurring with MPEG2 files from Sony Camcorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
Hey guys

I have only just joined this forum, but i have had my Mac Pro for well over a year now, i would have joined sooner, but iv not had any problems with my mac :D (until now).

Yesterday i bought my self a Sony DCR-SR57 handycam, as i thought i would make a stab at making amateur movies (as im training to be a film composer). The camera is great, i cant fault it for the price. But when i connected the camera to my mac and played the video back in VLC, i noticed when ever i moved the camera, there would be a motion blur. The blur looked like small lines, and it only appeared on the object that was moving! I had already tried the movies on my PS3 prior to this and it didnt have this problem.

I called up sony and they said that their products are not mac compatible, so alot of use they were. So i figured it might be to do with the MPEG2 plugin for quicktime, so i reinstalled it (im using snow leopard by the way) and the problem still remains!

I tried the file in all the software i have that can play video and it worked fine in iMovie and Toast 10's own player, but it had the motion blur in VLC, quicktime and Final cut, which is no good, as i intend to use Final Cut for my editing!

I tried using handbrake to convert the file into something else, but it only copied the problem into another file format!

Im totally stumped, so hopefully someone could shed some light onto this for me, so i can enjoy the camera and do some video editing :D!

Thanks in advance :)!

Reaction score
You're seeing "interlace" artifacts, nothing you can to about them. Your computer screen is a progressive format, TV screens are interlaced, so you won't see it on a TV screen. In film and video, you can't move things across the screen an just any old speed you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You can use Handbrake to convert it and for the most part get rid of the interlaced artifacts, but you have to turn on either Deinterlace or Decomb.

They both work similarly, but they are mutually exclusive - otherwise you either use Decomb OR Deinterlace, but not both - if I recall correctly from how HB works, DeInterlace does its job on every frame for all portions of the frame where as Decomb is more of an intelligent deinterlace where it will only do it on the frames that require it. They recommend using the intelligent form because it won't mess with frames that don't have the artifacts leaving overall a sharper image (deinterlacing tends to blur the image a little). If your final output is to put it back on DVD tho, you might as well leave the footage the way it is, but if you want your output to be on a computer screen or uploading to a video service, you may want to convert it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What i dont understand is why the video is fine when being played through iMovie and Toast, but not when being played with VLC, Quicktime and Final Cut.

I dont really fancy converting it all the time, as i dont want any quality loss!

There must be a solution for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
My only guess is that VLC, quicktime and final cut are not doing realtime/runtime de-interlacing. In VLC, with the file open, go to the Video menu, and you should see a deinterlace option near the bottom of the dropdown. Try different options in there to improve your output.

You can try to use: Download JES Deinterlacer for Mac - QuickTime deinterlacer. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads for quicktime, but I doubt it works with quicktime X (only 7) and I don't know about 10.6 compatibility.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My only guess is that VLC, quicktime and final cut are not doing realtime/runtime de-interlacing. In VLC, with the file open, go to the Video menu, and you should see a deinterlace option near the bottom of the dropdown. Try different options in there to improve your output.

That trick worked for VLC, everything plays fine now, but how do i go about doing it in final cut? i tried adding the de-interlacing filter onto the video and it made no difference!

Could it be todo with the PAL/NTSC differences as the camcorder is PAL?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to finish this thread, i couldn't fix the problem in the end, so i took the sony camera back and got my self a Panasonic SD10 HD camcorder instead, which works perfect with both iMovie and Final Cut Express!

Also when i called up Sony they said the camera wasn't mac compatible, which is nice of them to tell me when it doesn't say it anywhere on the box or on their website!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.