• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I Need Some Help Please!

O

origins

ok. i have a power mac G4 1ghz dual processor. just recently i was asked to make a dvd documentary for a 30th birthday party. i did. this was my second time using imovie and idvd (i am a musician not a movie director) it was about 12 mins. and very involved. it has all kinds of eye candy, audio overlays, and effects. sat.afternoon i burned it to disc with idvd. after watching it, i went back to imovie to make some edits. the trash contain 600 mb of stuff. the computer was behaving sluggishly and so i figured that i would empty the trash. not a good idea, as i found out later. i went to open the project again and it said that it can't the project file is unreadable. i WAS running imovie 3 or 4 (i forget). anyway, the files are lost and i can never go make an edit again right?
NOW, i can't open idvd for some strange reason. i tried reinstalling it again and NOTHING. three questions: 1. why can't i open idvd and what can i do to fix it?
2. is my documentary still ok in idvd despite the imovie corruption?
3. can norton save anything that was lost in imovie?
please someone put my mind at ease.

Reaction score
have you tried repairing permissions and deleting imove preferences files?
I would give that a try.

Reaction score
if repairing permissions did not help try deleting the imove preferences from user/library/preferences

OP
O

origins

Will this help with opening idvd? and
Once a project is rendered over to idvd, does it become independent of imovie or does it still use the files in imovie?
thanks

Reaction score
i cant be sure that any of this will for sure help, but they are pretty standard steps you should take. you could try deleting the preferences for idvd as well as i movie.

if none of this works, try creating yourself a new user and try it with the new user. if it works then you know that something with your old user was corrupt and not with the applications.

make sense?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.