• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI's

Reaction score
I have some movies in AVI format that only have audio in VLC player. They have no sound in real player or quick time. When burned to a DVD with toast, there is no sound. Do I need to convert them to some other format before burning to a disk?
Mankind

Reaction score
The audio stream is probably in a format unrecognizable by QuickTime and RealPlayer, such as FLAC or Ogg Vorbis. You should probably just re-encode the audio stream - MEncoder will do this (you'll probably need MacPorts).

Reaction score
I have some movies in AVI format that only have audio in VLC player. They have no sound in real player or quick time. When burned to a DVD with toast, there is no sound. Do I need to convert them to some other format before burning to a disk?
Mankind

I'm having a trouble just like yours. I'm not sure if i have the best solution cause i tried it and half of the problems have been solved.

So about the sound problem of quicktime. Just download the pack of codecs from http://perian.org/ and install it. Now quicktime plays the sound of the .avi video.

But about the video, i'm still having problems. I tried, again, to burn the dvd unsing now iDVD. I created an .img file and burned it using Toast. The DVD burned ok, but only worked with my mac. WITH SOUND THOUGHT, but did not worked with my dvd player. I'm trying righ now to, in another way, save the files the iDVD created, and after mid day i'll know if it works... lol, let's burn dvd medias and learn from the worst way...

If you solved this problem, please tell me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.