Time Machine

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a 1t external hard drive work great. I plugged it in and time machine asked me if I wanted to use as a back up and I clicked ask me later. Well now that Im wanting to set it up I cant seem to get it to work. I go into system pref, click on time machine and it only recognizes my boot camp. Please help me out, Thanks!! Also it does recognize it any where else ex. finder and pops up on desktop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless the Seagate 1 TB drive is formatted as HFS + (Mac OS Extended Journaled), Time Machine will not use it. Reformat the drive from NTFS to the Mac format by using Disk Utility and Time Machine should work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen
What chscag said. I did the same thing you did when I first purchased the drive. Once I decided what I wanted to do with it I went to disk utility to format and partition the drive so I could keep my music on a portion of it.

It gives you all the info you need there in disk utility to set it up with Time Machine. Just plug the drive in and select it in Disk Utility and it gives you all the options. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen
Select the drive in Disk Utility and go to the Erase menu. There it will ask you what format you want to use and I believe you select Mac OS Extended (journaled).

This is from memory so it may not be exact. A quick search will get you your answer much quicker than waiting here!

OP
R
Reaction score
Well there are two drives it says 1 TB seagate and then when I installed it the other one is Roberts External HD same drive though but which one do I do it to?But then once I select Mac OS Extended Journaled do i just click erase?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.