Kernal Panic questions.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this topic is somewhere else, I will search after this. But my basic understanding is that I have to reinstall the OS X. This is for an older Macbook from 2007. I got the Macbook from a friend who lost the disk to install OS X Tiger.

I was wondering if I have to fix it first and put Tiger back on it, or can I just go out and buy Snow Leopard and install it to have it and fix kernal panic problem at the same time and to save money since I do want to put snow leopard on it. So if anyone can answer that for me please.

I'm a noob with mac. Just got a newer Mac Mini for work and love it. Got this macbook from a friend who needed it fixed, replaced the screen and battery and learned that it also had this kernal panic thing. Oh and by the way, I did try all the steps like option command p and r start up, as well as command s and the other tries to help fix, nothing helped. So I assume that it just needs to reinstall the os x.

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm pretty sure this topic is somewhere else, I will search after this.

You're supposed to search first.;) If you get an answer in this thread...then what's the point of searching later??;)

But my basic understanding is that I have to reinstall the OS X.

No necessarily. In fact not very often at all. Most times kernel panics are hardware related (not software or OS related). This is not to say that kernel panics cannot be OS/software related. It's just that the majority of the time it's hardware that's the issue not software.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I see, I think I did find something in search that I can try. So sorry for the post. If the admins or whoever can please close this thread. Didn't see anywhere to delete it. . Apologies, and thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I see, I think I did find something in search that I can try. So sorry for the post. If the admins or whoever can please close this thread. Didn't see anywhere to delete it. . Apologies, and thanks.

I'm not sure of the history of this MacBook you got from a friend...but one VERY common kernel panic issue is bad ram.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.